bad match - should I replace the filter or the pump?

Just wanted to update the thread for people who might have similar questions.

I kept the same pump but will eventually upgrade to something more efficient.

I replaced the pluming and changed all of the valves. We opened up the pipe between the filter and jandy valve to returns lines. It was actually smaller than actual return lines. I changed the outlets to 1in vs .25in (i think) they had before. The flow is much better now.
I'm running at around 8-9psi when clean.
I also changed the manifold and added a chlorinator.

90% of the cost was covered by insurance :)

Thank you all for your help.
I will now be posting a new topic in regard to mastic repair :)

VKJK said:
mas985 said:
B2983 is a 2.2 THP motor which is the correct size for your current pump and it is higher efficiency.

right and I can run it a lower speed and higher when using the waterfall.
Is there anything else I need to know or do to replace the motor? I'm going to try to do this myself.

Would this still "overload" the filter when on high? Would he need to use the filter on recirculate when using the extra water features to avoid this?

A 48 sq-ft DE filter can handle up to 96 GPM which the 2 HP uprated Challenger would be hard pressed to reach even with the changes to the plumbing.

UnderWaterVanya said:
VKJK said:
mas985 said:
B2983 is a 2.2 THP motor which is the correct size for your current pump and it is higher efficiency.

right and I can run it a lower speed and higher when using the waterfall.
Is there anything else I need to know or do to replace the motor? I'm going to try to do this myself.

Would this still "overload" the filter when on high? Would he need to use the filter on recirculate when using the extra water features to avoid this?

They told me that I should not run the waterfall only, If i want the waterfall running I should keep the return lines open as well.
I guess you could run the waterfall only for a short period of time (assuming filter is clean and is at normal PSI) but don't make a habit out of it. The worse thing that could happen is that you break the panels (@ $40 each) - according to the pool company.
My understanding is that the previous owner wanted to recreate the Niagara Falls thus the more powerful pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.