Bad main circuit board? Dealing with Hayward??

George in Georgia

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2010
Jonesboro, GA
I am dealing with a probable circuit board failure on my Aqua Rite generator. All was well until a few days or so, but then ... no LEDs, or LCDs. On power up after the flow was established I'd get a brief display of LEDs indicating chlorination and inspect the cell, then nothing. I followed the Diagnostics Manual to the point at which problems on the main circuit board were indicated.
A little back story: a few years ago I (with the help of folks on this site) traced such a problem to the thermistor failure. Replacing it cured the problem; I did have the foresight to buy two.
But now there is really no indication of thermistor failure; no cracks in the component. I called Hayward, they asked me to describe the problem in an email for their tech folks. I did so, giving a description of the problem and my progression through the Manual to board problems; I asked where to find the part number for replacement. I asked where I could find the board number so I could buy the right one.
Their answer was to refer me to the Q&A section on their web site! A non-answer. I hesitate to buy a replacement board on Amazon without knowing whether I've selected the right one. GRRRRR!!!!!
Entering the various numbers on the board into Amazon's listing for the board gives no joy. I'm afraid of installing the wrong board and being unable to return it.
A prior post mentioned Hayward's liability concerns: odd that auto parts dealers seem to feel no fear in selling brake parts! What's wrong with this picture?
Does anyone know where the board part number is? Dare I order the board on Amazon? Dare I eat a peach?

Acting on a hunch I reheated the solder connections I'd made several years ago to the thermistor. A "cold" solder joint can function properly for quite a while, then either fail completely electrically or become intermittent. Generally a cold joint will look sort of granular, rather than lustrous and smooth. The solder looked okay, but....
I was lucky! The board is now functioning properly, although for how long who knows?
BTW re your query: I can find no serial number nor name on the box. By box you mean the metal cabinet?
Diagnostics now are correct. Thanks for the help!
Should I need a new cell or board I think I'll shop other makers. When I troubleshot the cell last summer Hayward was very helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Funny that everyone wants something different than they have expecting better. There is another current thread of someone looking to switch from Circupool. They are can have problems, but the hayward's are well known due to marketshare.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.