samsoccer7

Aug 2, 2022
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning... I noticed one of my returns not having flow yesterday and again this morning. I went to backwash my sand filter and it would run fine for a minute then suddenly no water and no flow. I would wait and the flow would build up again, backwash appropriately for a minute, then again no water and no flow. I let this run for at least 10 minutes to see if it would "clear" but it kept happening. I went to rinse, no flow. Went to filter again and the flow built up, worked, then again it would go to zero, returns no flow, then again start flowing slowly and build up only for the cycle to repeat.

Do I need to deep clean the filter? Should I troubleshoot anything else? Maybe recirc or bypass? My first time ever having a pool.

Has it been doing this ever since you opened this season, or is this a brand new occurance? When was the last time you did a deep clean? Has the MPV ever been opened to inspect the spider gasket area?
Moved into this home in May. Never had this problem this season. No clue on deep clean and I have not opened the MPV.

I am willing to do it but not sure how to isolate the filter exactly. Just shut off the pump and close the skimmers/drains? There are these in-line PVC pieces which say "close" I've never seen these before.

I am willing to do it but not sure how to isolate the filter exactly. Just shut off the pump and close the skimmers/drains? There are these in-line PVC pieces which say "close" I've never seen these before.
Post some pics of your equipment pad so we can see all the equipment and plumbing lines. We should be able to help.

Sam,

Are you sure your skimmer weir door is not sticking up.???

I'd check the water level and the weir door.

Thanks,

Jim R.
That used to be a problem but I shaved the doors down and this morning, despite the doors in the right place, the basket was floating and the other one had no flow. I’m 99.9% sure that’s not the issue now but thanks for the suggestion!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.