Backwash?

J M S

May 22, 2017
middletown/new jersey
Morning everyone,

I added conditioner to the pool Monday. The label on the product says let the filter run for 72 hours straight after you add to the pool. I Just checked the PSI on my filter and it's at 20psi. With the PSI at 20, should I be doing a backwash to the filter? If so, will a backwash negate the conditioner that was added on Monday?

Thanks in advance.
JMS

Since you just added it two days ago, if you added it to the skimmer, I'd let it run today and then backwash it just as a precaution. I believe that all the stabilizer should be dissolved by now, but in a abundance of caution let the pump run one more day.

What schedule is the pump running?

Where/how did you add the conditioner? If you added (thick gel) to the water, it should be okay and already registered by now. If you poured it into the skimmer, it might have accumulated in the sand a bit like goo. I suspect the best way to know is test your CYA this morning (under good sunlight outside). Liquid conditioner usually registers very quickly, so if you reached your CYA goal, then you should be okay to backwash.

Edit: If in the skimmer as Dave (Bama) asked, another day won't hurt. :)

@Bama Rambler - I used the granulates. Diluted them in warm water (per the instructions on the label) and poured directly into the skimmer. The pump is running 24/7 right now. I planned on switching it to the 8am-6pm once this cycle of the conditioner is complete.

- - - Updated - - -

@Texas Splash - I used the Leslie's 12305 Chlorine Stabilizer Water Conditioner.

Morning everyone,

I added conditioner to the pool Monday. The label on the product says let the filter run for 72 hours straight after you add to the pool. I Just checked the PSI on my filter and it's at 20psi. With the PSI at 20, should I be doing a backwash to the filter? If so, will a backwash negate the conditioner that was added on Monday?

Thanks in advance.
JMS
You should backwash when filter pressure rises 20-25% over clean pressure.

With that said, if the CYA was not completely dissolved before you poured it into the skimmer, I would give it 4-5 days of running 24/7 before a backwash to make sure it is all dissolved.

This is why we recommend using the 'sock method', where you fill a sock with the granular CYA, then hang it in front of a running return jet.

Thank you domct203. It was NOT fully dissolved when i poured it in. If the pressure in the filter is to the point where a backwash is needed, but it hasnt been the 4-5 days, do I wait the 4-5 days or do i just backwash? I guess the most important questions is: if i dont backwash, am i causing harm to the filter?

I did not see the 'sock method' until today. I wish I had.

Thank you domct203. It was NOT fully dissolved when i poured it in. If the pressure in the filter is to the point where a backwash is needed, but it hasnt been the 4-5 days, do I wait the 4-5 days or do i just backwash? I guess the most important questions is: if i dont backwash, am i causing harm to the filter?

I did not see the 'sock method' until today. I wish I had.

A psi of 20 doesn't seem like it needs immediate attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.