Backwash Sight Glass question

If you go back and forth between the two pictures you can see the intake hose from the skimmer going to the pump and the hose from the pump going to the multiport valve and the return hose leading from the multiport valve back to the pool. What you don't see is a "waste" or "discharge" hose, just that white valve stuck in the outlet.

No clue what you are referring to as a second separate line from the pump to the multiport for waste :confused::confused: There is only one line from the pump to the multiport valve. Pump supplies water under pressure to the valve and the valve determines what it's going to be used for/where it goes.
I've gone back and forth w number of times line you said, there's only one line from the pump and that's the one to the bottom of the filter there is NO waste(bypass) capability. There is no line from the pump to the multiport. I thought the hose coming out of the pool side was a return(I see now it is). I have no idea what the line towards the top of the pool is (I can see now that's probably the only drain line coming from the skimmer) I cant tell what the lower or the two lines coming out of the multiport goes to (that IS a return. Ok, I can see it more clearly now, the line DOES go from the pump to the multiport so there IS waste.
Now my only question is is there a bottom drain?

Eddy, that little cap is the drain. You'd use it to drain the filter at the end of season when winterizing or if you need to service the filter.

The Brown is the filters drain at the bottom of the filter. (Not sure where it physically is as I can't see it but it's down there :) )
Green is the skimmer to the pump. Yellow is the pump to the filter and red is the return to the pool.
The "blue" is the waste or discharge port used when in "waste" or "backwash". Waste just pumps water out bypassing the filter entirely, backwash pumps water backwards through the filter and out.

That's why I don't understand the need for a separate waste line ?? Maybe you have different equipment or a custom setup.

Attachments

• Pool Filter 1a.jpg
    Pool Filter 1a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 36
Yes, I see that now, but couldn't make it all out until after his additional pics. And, I was confused by what initially looked like the one and only line leaving the pump to what looked like the bottom of the filter not realizing it was coiled and going to the top of the multiport..

IMHO, Eddy should have cut the grass before the pictures so we could see the hoses !!!! :evil::evil:

Now it's time to slap your brother-in-law for causing all this confusion and not reading the directions for the filters hook up :rambo:

Just had a thought :idea: want to make sure you know to only move the multiport handle with the pumps motor OFF and to always rotate it the same direction. On the Hayward, clockwise makes the most sense. Even if you need to only go one spot back, go all the way around as the gasket under that spinning valve wears and if you start to reverse directions of rotation you can rip that gasket or shorten it's life.

Once you backwash it thoroughly you need to pay attention to the pressure. Once the pressure rises 25% above the "clean" (immediately after backwash) pressure it's time to backwash again.
Since you have an issue with cloudy water you want to wait to backwash until you do see that pressure rise. A filter that is a little dirty actually filters better than a clean one so don't backwash when you don't need to. Always an exception, rains heavily and you have too much water in the pool. Instead of just pumping it to waste and out use backwash and thoroughly clean the filter with that "free" rainwater.

Sorry for being redundant if you already knew. :oops:

The Brown is the filters drain at the bottom of the filter. (Not sure where it physically is as I can't see it but it's down there :) )
Green is the skimmer to the pump. Yellow is the pump to the filter and red is the return to the pool.
The "blue" is the waste or discharge port used when in "waste" or "backwash". Waste just pumps water out bypassing the filter entirely, backwash pumps water backwards through the filter and out.

That's why I don't understand the need for a separate waste line ?? Maybe you have different equipment or a custom setup.

That's really cool how you did that, thanks. As far as I know its a standard S180T. Nothing custom about it. Ordered from Amazon though...

- - - Updated - - -

Just hat a thought :idea: want to make sure you know to only move the multiport handle with the pumps motor OFF and to always rotate it the same direction. On the Hayward, clockwise makes the most sense. Even if you need to only go one spot back, go all the way around as the gasket under that spinning valve wears and if you start to reverse directions of rotation you can rip that gasket or shorten it's life.

Once you backwash it thoroughly you need to pay attention to the pressure. Once the pressure rises 25% above the "clean" (immediately after backwash) pressure it's time to backwash again.
Since you have an issue with cloudy water you want to wait to backwash until you do see that pressure rise. A filter that is a little dirty actually filters better than a clean one so don't backwash when you don't need to. Always an exception, rains heavily and you have too much water in the pool. Instead of just pumping it to waste and out use backwash and thoroughly clean the filter with that "free" rainwater.

Sorry for being redundant if you already knew. :oops:

I'll take whatever advice I can even if its just to reinforce something, thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As far as I know its a standard S180T. Nothing custom about it. Ordered from Amazon though....

The "custom" comment was in relation to Timerguy's setup as maybe something was different on his for an extra waste hose.

Microsoft has a paint program included in your software and that's what I use to doctor photos.

I don't have any hoses-just a whole lot of pvc and paint is what I used on my setup pic I linked to this morning. I was just confused by the lack of detail on his original 2 pics and I lost about an hour in the thread while I was processing my pic. That's why it seemed to take forever for me to see his additional pics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.