Backswimmer Infestation

Laker

Sep 22, 2020
Nebraska
Our above ground pool was installed late August 2020 in northern Nebraska. Took a while for the water to clear. Now we cannot keep backswimmers out of the pool. Dozens in skimmer every couple of hours and more being manually skimmed daily. I'm talking thousands of them. We've been vigilant about keeping the pool as clean as possible and I'm almost sure we have no algae but the backswimmers continue to infest our pool. Has anyone had and solved this problem effectively.?

Welcome to TFP :)

1 or 2 cups of dawn liquid soap depending on the size of pool. I started at 1 cup the first day and added another cup the next day and they were all gone by day 3 :)

Stick around and check the rest of the site out :)

Yes. With numbers like the OP is seeing, his pool is likely a Backswimmer nursery. They are there to eat something. A SLAM may be needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We also live about a 1/4 mile from a pond with mostly standing water. So I'm sure that's where the come from.
We had them right after opening our new pool in July. Not the extent that you have but we have a lake/pool maybe 150 yards from our house. I thought the same thing but once we were up and running they stopped showing up 2-3 weeks later.

We added over a cup of dish soap this afternoon. The backswimmers that were in the pool have died and the pool is currently completely free of them. But I have a few questions about this solution.

1. Why does this work? I understand that altering the surface tension kills the existing bugs, but does it also repel others from coming in? Or does it simply kill all the prey in the pool making it less attractive?

2. If backswimmers continue to be an issue, should dish soap be added to our weekly chemical list?

3. Is there any risk or side effect of using dish soap on a weekly basis or even more often if necessary?

1. It works because they can not get the air to stay around there body because the surface tension is gone and they drown...

2. only use when you see more than a handful

3. no harm but it can build up and start to have bubbles in the pool, ask me how I know LOL... I put in a bit much once and had a bubble bath for a couple days :)

Reactions: borjis
Our last infestation of backswimmers was eliminated by the dawn treatment. That was Tuesday of this week. Last night (Friday) they came back with a vengeance. Started with maybe a dozen at 5pm and by 6 we had thousands. Again we were able to get rid of them with the dish soap and about 3 hours of constant skimming. As we were skimming, we noticed a lot of dead boatman. We're resigned to the fact that we have an unseeable algae problem. Soybean harvest is in full swing here so there is a lot of dust and debris in the air and a lot of beetles landing in the water. Would backswimmers be attracted to beetles too? We just received our TF-100 kit today and plan to SLAM soon. Attached pic is of the bottom of our pool this morning. Light powdery substance that we can't seem to get rid of by vacuuming. Any help with what this is? Dead algae? If so, what kind?
IMG951006.jpg

If you are seeing that many backswimmers showing up in your pool that fast they must be nesting someplace near or in your pool. Maybe if you Dawn soap a couple of generations you will kill off however is keep those nests going. Its my understand they put the eggs just above the water line. You haven't seen anything like that on the sides of you pool just before the outbreak?

That is crazzy, thousands.... I have at most had 20 or so and they do not come back for months.... that has to be a sight of 1500 dead boatman being skimmed out of the pool... :shock: :shock: :eek::eek: :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.