AZ pool owners - Where to buy inexpensive liquid chlorine?

jetskierg

Jul 5, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Hi all, switched to liquid chlorine since my pool resurface. was using Trichlor pucks from Costco for years before I knew what it does/doesn't do. ($80 for 40Lb bucket. still have a bunch left) So far liquid chlorine is costing me just under $5 a gallon when buying 2 gallon box at Home Depot for $8.98 plus tax.
From what I am gathering on here I should be using 1/2 to a gallon a day. This is WAY more expensive than the pucks. yes, i understand that it builds up CYA, but it was a heck of a lot easier versus this everyday. At this rate, i need a whole pallet.

How does everyone else keep their numbers in check without going broke? thx

Reactions: DiannJ and Aznewmom
A lot of large pool owners use SWG (so the chlorine is generated in the pool), others use a stenner pump to deliver liquid chlorine.

Are you using the 10% or 12.5% strength?

HASA chlorine is 12.5%. You can get four 1 gallon containers (refillable jugs) in a carrier. There is a refundable deposit on the jugs and carrier.
Here's their dealer locator... be sure to choose "Dealer - Retail ..." under Category filter.

May I ask why you are switching ? I live in Surprise and on my 3 year having a pool . I have had issues every season with high CYA and now this season my pool is very cloudy . I suspect I too need to stop using the trichlor pucks!

HASA chlorine is 12.5%. You can get four 1 gallon containers (refillable jugs) in a carrier. There is a refundable deposit on the jugs and carrier.
Here's their dealer locator... be sure to choose "Dealer - Retail ..." under Category filter.
This is what I am currently using. Not sure where in the Phoenix area you are but there is an AM Corson's in Gilbert that has the jugs and carrier. Prices are what @proavia quoted.

You will use a little less chlorine/day if you switch to the 12.5%. For your 20K gallon pool. a half gallon of 12.5% provides 3.1 ppm of FC. That's about what my pool consumes this time of year, so a little over $2/day. You will use less after the summer ends (in December LOL).

Last edited:
I’m down in Tucson. I highly suggest you get an SWG and convert your pool over. Given the higher prices of liquid chlorine, the lower availability because of hoarding, and the fact that store bleaches all seem to have additives nowadays, LC is not the most convenient choice. The economics of liquid chlorine versus bleach are equivalent - when you install an SWG you are simply paying for all of your chlorine it will generate upfront. Given the availability and generally good prices on SWGs nowadays, it’s probably the cheaper route to go. My pool had an SWG since Day 1 of its life but I have added jugs of LC on occasion and I have to say this - I’d rather fill my pool in with dirt and turn it into a putting green than run a pool without an SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
May I ask why you are switching ? I live in Surprise and on my 3 year having a pool . I have had issues every season with high CYA and now this season my pool is very cloudy . I suspect I too need to stop using the trichlor pucks!
Welcome! I would recommend getting a good test kit, and reading up in Pool School, especially the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. If you want help start a thread and we can help you out too. :)

yeah peggysue, Trichlor pucks are a no no around here. They say the CYA builds up with the pucks and eventually your chlorine stops working and pool turns green. Switching to liquid is a pain in the behind. I just spent $7800 getting the pool resurfaced and cannot afford a SWG.
I live in north phoenix, so gilbert, mesa, tempe are out.
Apparently, from what I've seen on here, back East & Midwest is much cheaper Iceshadow. Count your blessings. I can't find it less than approx. $4.75 a gallon.
HASA doesn't sound much cheaper other than its a little stronger so you might use a little less. Not worth the hassle going out of the way to go to a retailer, deal with deposits and returning bottles, just to save a $1 or 2. If I ever find a good place to buy i will post on here. thx for input.

Reactions: KnAZ and IceShadow
Your other option is to use pure trichlor pucks (NOT the multi-purpose tabs sold in places line Costco, Walmart, etc) and simply test CYA frequently. Increase your FC to maintain a 7.5% FC/CYA ratio and then partially drain and refill the pool when your CYA hits 100ppm. It will cost you $$$ in water bills but that’s the only other way to do it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.