Aux Pump losing Prime

Jul 15, 2018
Stamford, CT
The Aux pump on my hot tub had developed an interesting problem. After a couple weeks of non-use, I noticed that the Aux pump needed to be primed. The main pump was still functioning fine. Runs through its filter cycle no problem . Heater also seems to be working fine .

I primed the Aux pump about 7 PM last night. I went back this morning at around 11 AM and it needed to be primed again. What can be causing this? My main fear is that we had a cold snap here the last week and I’m wondering if something froze and cracked. I am not noticing any water on the outside of the hot tub and the water level seems fine.

Sounds like a suction/air leak somewhere along the line going to that specific pump. Does that pump have a strainer pot/basket like conventional pool pumps? Any lids, plugs, or anything else that may require silicone lube to prevent an air leak? Any way you could post a pic or two of the pump and/or line leading up to it? Might help viewers.

Sounds like a suction/air leak somewhere along the line going to that specific pump. Does that pump have a strainer pot/basket like conventional pool pumps? Any lids, plugs, or anything else that may require silicone lube to prevent an air leak? Any way you could post a pic or two of the pump and/or line leading up to it? Might help viewers.
Not sure if the picture will help. The Aux pump is the one on the right. This side of the hot tub is perfectly dry. This morning, I did notice some slight puddling on the ground on the outside of the other end of the tub. This is the end where the aux jets are located so I'm thinking something on the aux line is leaking. I took the panel off on that end but it's all filled with foam so couldn't see anything. Didn't notice any wet spots on the foam. I think it's time to call in the experts. This is going to suck because I'm guessing they will have to cut through all the foam to locate the leak.IMG_5577.jpg

Update: the puddling on the outside of the tub was gone this morning. Wondering if it was just lingering dew or melted snow. However, the aux pump is still losing prime. Still perplexed.

There is a skimmer in the tub, but I believe that is connected to the main pump(unless they connect it to both pumps). There are two bleeders, one in the skimmer and one on the filter lid. The one in the skimmer is under water. The one on the filter cover is outside the water. I’ve lubed both.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.