Autopilot union screen constantly full of debris

Savo

Jan 20, 2018
Matthews, NC
Hello, the Union Screen that filters out debris in my salt cell union gets fouled up daily during spring and fall - due to excess seeds, husks, tassels, etc. = all the stuff that trees throw off in the spring/fall.

I have a pool and spa combination and the spa returns also fill up with this debris - I believe the salt cell is fed by the spa and pool returns, so i know where the debris is coming from.

My questions:
Should i be redirecting the flow from the pool during spring to avoid this constant clogging ?
Is there an in-line screen addition i could install, that may be larger capacity and easier to maintain than constantly opening and cleaning out the union screen ?

Thanks for your ideas,
Jeff

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Post pics of your equipment.

Your SWG should be installed after your filter and stuff should not be getting past the filter.

Last edited:

Savo

Jan 20, 2018
Matthews, NC
Post pics of your equipment.

Your SWG should be installed after your filter ans stuff should not be getting past the filter.
Thanks AJW, as I was lining up to take pictures, it was obvious to me that the SWG is in the return line. I have a cartridge filter, so I will look inside for "leaks". I recall (from a past cleaning) that there was a crack in the manifold that was repaired, It's most likely that debris is getting through this way. Thank you for your quick reply !