Autopilot Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 Garbled Display

YesRushGen

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2008
Suffolk, VA, US
The list of problems with my pool this year seems to have no end...

This evening, I noticed my Autopilot display was garbled. Things like spaces being inserted between letters, making the messages and menu options unreadable.

I've tried power-cycling from the breaker, to no avail. The unit still seems to function, but only because I'm familiar with the menu options.

Any ideas, before I consider a complete panel replacement from SaltPoolGuys?

Kelly

Re: Autopilot Digital Pool Pilot DIG-220 Garbled Display - FIXED

I thought I'd "tidy up" with the conclusion to my original post.

So, I worked with Josh from SaltWaterGuys and we diagnosed my issue as a failing control board (not the power module). Being the entire unit was 12 years old, I decided to replace the whole smash instead of just the control board. So I ordered a new one on Tuesday 6/5, and decide to simply monitor the old unit in operation until I can replace it. I kid you not, that very night, the display ungarbled itself and returned to normal. Gotta love electronics, right?

So, the new unit arrives two days later, Thursday 6/7. The old unit continued to operate without a garbled display. I decided to just keep the old unit running until it failed. Good plan, right? WRONG!!!!

On Friday night, 6/8, I inspect the old unit. This time the display is COMPLETELY garbled with garbage characters, but the pump is still running. Control panel is completely unresponsive. Button presses have no effect whatsoever. Decision made - immediate remove and replace.

To some around here, replacing a panel like this that has bare wire connectors is probably something closer to child's play. But not me. I consider myself competent and able to learn stuff, but dealing with electricity I would be taking my time with this. Slow and methodical, making drawings, writing lists, labeling things, and lots of photographs is how I would get through this.

In the end, the replacement was a success! The unit powered up successfully, programming it was a snap, it operates the salt cell properly, and the pump relay correctly operates the pump.

I have to give a special shout out to Josh at SaltWaterGuys... He was very helpful and answered all my questions I had while going through the procedure.

I'll followup with photos of the replacement work later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.