Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
I wanted to post my experience repairing my DIG-220 using info in posts from this forum, since the posts I read were so helpful and perhaps the additional information can be of use to future troubleshooters. I have a pool that I'm told was redone in 2013 by the previous owner. I have an intelliflo pump with an Autopilot digital 220 salt generator. About a month after I opened the pool for the first time, I observed the low amps error and free chlorine dropped to zero. I verified the circuit breaker had not tripped. A pool supply shop lent me a salt cell and cable to test those components, but the same error existed with the the new components, so I returned them. The old cell was in good condition on visual inspection, and the salt level in the pool was around 2900 on the autopilot display which agreed with test strips my pool contractor had.

I took out the PCBs from the power supply and inspected the capacitors. The one on the display board was brown(I don't know what the original color was). The capacitors on the main board appeared to be in good condition, no bulging or blown vents, and color appeared normal, but capacitors can fail internally without any change in appearance. I replaced the four capacitors on the main board that usually fail with 565-4874-ND from digikey which has higher tolerances than the original capacitor. However, another user used 565-3404-ND which is a lower ESR capacitor. I wasn't sure if this was appropriate, and I didn't really think about it until after I had the capacitors so I went ahead and installed them. If anyone thinks it's worth changing to the low ESR please let me know. I also replaced the display board capacitor with a 493-15293-ND.

Capacitor replacement took about 1 hour. I do have experience soldering, but it was not a difficult job. Removing the capacitors was a little awkward and should be done carefully to avoid damaging other components.

The new capacitors made no difference and the display still reported low amps. I haven't seen many postings about this issue recently so it seems the manufacturer may have fixed the capacitor problem by 2013, or it least it wasn't the problem in my case. After reassembling I noticed that jiggling the multi-pin connector on the main board could cause some relays to audibly click over. I decided it was worth a shot to replace the cable(part is called "wiring harness"). At the same time, I ordered a new fan even though mine was working since postings here suggested that there is no overheat protection and the circuit could be damaged when the fan eventually goes. The cost of the wiring harness was $75 and the fan was $40, so between that and the capacitors and shipping I probably spend around $150 on this repair, while a new autopilot power supply seems to cost about $700.

With the new parts the power supply is working, and reports 21.5v and 6.5A. Chlorine levels are also now adequate in the pool.

Now that this is working I'd appreciate any advice on how to minimize the wear and tear on the salt cell. I have it set to 85% with a pump runtime of about 10 hours per day. The pool is about 25k gallons we think, and cell is an rc35/22. Can I reduce it to 50%?

Thank you so much!

ETBD

Last edited:
etbd,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all of your "Hazardous" pool maintenance questions... :shark:

Your cell puts out 1.3 lbs. of chlorine per day when run at 100% and 24/7... This should add about 6.2 ppm of chlorine to your pool, or about .26 ppm per hour at 100%.

Running at 85% for 10 hours will give you an increase of 2.2 ppm per day.. If you drop your output to 50% you will get an increase of 1.3 ppm per day..

The only person that can decide if you can reduce your output to 50% is you... You just need to track your FC at the same time each day. Best to test just before the cell is going to start producing for the day... Your FC needs to be above the minimum for your CYA level.. See This chart... [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

If your daily tests indicate the FC is increasing you can reduce your output, if your tests indicate that the FC is going down, then you will need to increase your output...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Welcome to TFP!

Thank you for the write up as it will help many people with similar issues.

Not knowing of any details about your pool or reliable test results, I can't say if your output and run times are normal.

Thanks for your replies folks. The pool is at a seasonal home and I'm not there everyday to test the level, so I'm hoping to start somewhat close to the right level since I can't make as frequent adjustments. Also curious if there is any affordable way to automate the testing and adjustment of the chlorine level, or perform it remotely?

I've been using three 7-day trichlor tablets per week to keep the pool chlorinated while the SWG was offline which was about 12 weeks. However my CYA level still registers as near zero using the TF-100 and a strip test, as well as a pool store analyzer. Chlorine levels remained close to 5ppm during this period. Does this seem possible?

Thanks again for the advice!

I'm not sure why the CYA is not showing up as you should have added around 40+ppm of CYA with those tablets. How much sun does the pool see each day?

Testing for chlorine is the only way to be sure if it is at the right level. Research ORP and you will find some info, but ORP is not recommended here at TFP due to its issues with CYA.

Thanks ping. I checked the pool after about a week running at 85% for 10hrs and found the chlorine level to be greater than 15ppm, I stopped the test at that point to avoid wasting my reagent, it was starting to lighten after about 25 drops. The pool gets a decent amount of sunlight, but most people put their pool in the sun, so I doubt more than average. It's also October, so the sun is not at it's strongest this time of year. I reduced the output to 50% for 8 hrs per day. It concerns me a bit that it was possible to get the chlorine that high without being aware. Any tips? It's almost time to close down for winter, but I'd like to have a sense of how to balance it for when we reopen next spring. Thanks!

This has always been the time of year when my pool takes a dramatic reduction in the amount of chlorine it needs, I went from 80% to 20% with the same pump run time. The amount of chlorine usage drops due to the lack of UV on the pool as we are still able to maintain the water temp at 88 degrees in the evening.

I suggest turning off the SWG to drop the FC to the upper end of your target and then turning it back on to 25% and/or cut the run time down. The only other tip will be to test a little more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.