I am automating my pool April 5th, yay. With the system already installed it sounds like we are bound for the Omni system. I would like a gadget that allows me to check the chlorine and Ph from my hotel room 5hours away. Then I’d like to be able to make changes to the Aquarite to increase or decrease chlorine production. As for pH, I’ll probably still have to manually add muriatic acid. My goal is to automate as much as possible. I am gone 6 days a week right now and my wife works a ton. She’s been doing her best but I don’t want this to fall on her. I want to be able to check chlorine and pH levels from the hotel and be able to make changes as needed as much as possible.

what device would you recommend that will integrate with the Omni/Aqua rite systems?

on the 5th of April I’m having a pool company come over to help finish my automation and really want to get it right. Any suggestions?

Look at WaterGuru or phIn. A search will find threads about both of them. There are mixed reviews as to their test accuracy and reliability.

Your Omni system should let you make SWG % adjustments.

You can look into installing a Stenner pump to do automatic acid dosing.

You still need to do periodic water chemistry testing to confirm that none of your automation has gone haywire.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt
I just added a Aquarite SWG to my existing Hayward/Omni setup last week. Yes- I can log in to my app and turn everything on/off, adjust output, adjust pump speeds, etc... I'm still working out the kinks, but so far it seems to work fairly well. My only issue so far is connectivity to my home network, but that could very well be my router, which is a bit old.

I can't speak to the pHin and other remote measurement devices, but I can say that the industrial versions of these things are often the bane of my existence (at work)- Particularly when the data is used as a trigger to dose some chemical treatment. I saw one malfunction and basically opened a valve of a pH control chemical and dumped 400 gallons into the system in about 24 hours (that amount of chemical should have been 60 days). Automation is great, until it isn't. But if you treat any abrupt or unexplained changes with suspicion, and wait until you can grab an actual sample to test BEFORE you make chemical additions, it may work well for you.

Reactions: mknauss
Look at WaterGuru or phIn. A search will find threads about both of them. There are mixed reviews as to their test accuracy and reliability.

Your Omni system should let you make SWG % adjustments.

You can look into installing a Stenner pump to do automatic acid dosing.

You still need to do periodic water chemistry testing to confirm that none of your automation has gone haywire.
Thank you for the links and info. I will look into all the advice you provided. definitely gave me a direction to head. I am really looking forward to automating.

I just added a Aquarite SWG to my existing Hayward/Omni setup last week. Yes- I can log in to my app and turn everything on/off, adjust output, adjust pump speeds, etc... I'm still working out the kinks, but so far it seems to work fairly well. My only issue so far is connectivity to my home network, but that could very well be my router, which is a bit old.

I can't speak to the pHin and other remote measurement devices, but I can say that the industrial versions of these things are often the bane of my existence (at work)- Particularly when the data is used as a trigger to dose some chemical treatment. I saw one malfunction and basically opened a valve of a pH control chemical and dumped 400 gallons into the system in about 24 hours (that amount of chemical should have been 60 days). Automation is great, until it isn't. But if you treat any abrupt or unexplained changes with suspicion, and wait until you can grab an actual sample to test BEFORE you make chemical additions, it may work well for you.
I am upgrading my home network to an Araknis network. I should have 1gig coverage from property edge to edge. We just bought this house and I have big ideas. Trying to accomplish one project a month. April is pool automation! Any suggestions or tips would or deeper bigger thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like our set ups might be kinda similar and we are heading in the same pool direction. As far as I am concerned this is our forever home until the boys go off to college, about 12 years. Then we will probably still keep it and just travel work. What kind of work do you do?

I am upgrading my home network to an Araknis network. I should have 1gig coverage from property edge to edge. We just bought this house and I have big ideas. Trying to accomplish one project a month. April is pool automation! Any suggestions or tips would or deeper bigger thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sounds like our set ups might be kinda similar and we are heading in the same pool direction. As far as I am concerned this is our forever home until the boys go off to college, about 12 years. Then we will probably still keep it and just travel work. What kind of work do you do?
I'm an analytical chemist in the petroleum/chemical industry, forced into management by the recent downturn since my role as an advising scientist was eliminated. Don't get me wrong- glad that they saw me as a keeper and that I'm still employed but this is NOT where I saw my career going. I got out of management intentionally 5 years ago because I prefer solving analytical problems to people/budget/SAP problems. :laughblue:

Hayward has a sense and dispense system that works with the omni system to monitor and adjust PH and other things I believe.

Sense and Dispense | Automation | In Ground Pool Automation - Hayward Pool Products

This. I just implemented it and is running very well. See my thread.

Reactions: dsilchenstedt

I read your report and sent you a PM. Thank you and I’m interested in this.

Reactions: joboo7777

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks like a fairly interesting system, for sure!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.