Automation Panel Surge and flicker suppressor with time delay?

tradewinds

Jul 22, 2023
Central Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
What is everyone using as a surge suppressor, delay start after outages/flicker? I have a new Pentair Intellicenter, Intelliflo pump and Intellichlor SCG which I'm looking to protect.

Some some of my appliances and other expensive items that cannot support a UPS, I have used these and wondering what outdoor equivalent is used for pool panels that is proven.

I know ICM make a few types like these, but seems will only do the delay part:

Last edited:
Yes, I have some whole house already but we sometimes get the quick flickers at times that causes some issues.
What issues do you get with your pool equipment when the power glitches?

What issues do you get with your pool equipment when the power glitches?
Nothing I'm aware of with the pool equipment but other equipment (only a month hooked up) like refrigerator and HVACs and electronics usually have issues depending on how the rapid flickers happen.

Last edited:
@tradewinds
I'm running two types of surge protection as it relates to my pool automation.
1. Two Siemens "First Surge" FS100 whole house surge protectors. One at the service entrance panel and another at the IntelliCenter Load Center.

2. If your network connection to the IntelliCenter is "hardwired" (i.e. Cat5e, Cat6 etc.) Then you should protect against surges taking the network path (It happens). I'm running five Tupavco TP302 Ethernet Surge Protectors. One between my Arris Cable Modem and my router/firewall, and the rest up with the attic patch panels protecting my various runs out to the pool equipment pad (network and RS-485 runs).

Nothing will 100% guarantee against catastrophic electrical surges but a little cheap insurance, sure doesn't hurt.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: tradewinds
I had a whole house surge protector attached to the subpanel that feeds my Intellicenter load panel. We had a strong lightning storm come through earlier this summer. The surge protector did not trip, but I lost the Intelkicenter main board, the control board on my heater and 2 of my 3 Intellivalves. There was a ightning strike that hit less than 50 yards away that may have been what damaged the equipment. I suspect the RS485 comm line was the carrier of the overload that somehow entered the Intelicenter. Nothing else on the pad or in my house was damaged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.