Automation for pool

Not sure what all that means. The EasyTouch has (I think) 6 or 7 aux relays. Single speed pumps are just electric motors. They hook to relays of any kind unless they are two speeds. They run on 110 or 220v AC service.

But like I said any two speed pump should be able to be hacked for any two speed pump controller. It's just electricity and electrons are all the same. There are different voltages but that can be accounted for,

So again, not sure what you are saying can't be done by EasTouch outside of the Pentair line.

My point again about Easyouch is that it is a fancy relay board with add on features like scheduling, egg timing, and remote control via wireless or SceenLogic. You should be able to hook any base hardware to it and be fine with minimal (if any) mods.

S,

What I'm trying to say, and not doing a very good job at it, is that you are half right and half wrong. I agree whole heartedly that the EasyTouch controls most things with relays and as such it can control anything that only needs AC power applied to turn it on/off, no matter what brand it is.. But if you have a different brand of Variable Speed pump or Saltwater Generator, the EasyTouch cannot talk to those products and control them. Most VS pumps and SWCGS are controlled over a communications bus and not just turned on/off. While it could turn them on/off, that is not what automation is all about. You want to be able to read the SWCG and see what the salt reading is, you want to be able to adjust the cell's output by pushing an icon on your computer screen. You want to be able to adjust the pump speed up or down using an icon.. You cannot do those things unless the automation system can "talk" with the pump and the SWCG. For the most part, various brands of pool equipment will not talk with one another.

Thanks,

Jim R.

The only real automation I have or want is my solar system, because it requires some “if then” logic to operate. It compares my desired temperature with the current water temperature, then determines if solar heat is available at the panels. If so, it opens the solar valve and ramps up my VS pump, to the preselected speed for supporting the solar system. When finished heating the pool, it closes the valve and returns control to the pump. In order for this to work the solar panel and pump are both Pentair (SolarTouch controller & Intelliflo Pump).

My other speed settings and timing are all preprogrammed on my main pump. As far as my SWG % setting, since you need test results first, you are already at the pool, so I see no real advantage to remote control. All of my lights and other functions are simply on or off, so simple off the shelf Smart Switches can control those, (if I want remote control). That allows me to use Hayward for my SWG, single speed spa pump, heater, etc. Yet my main pump and solar are Pentair.

The only real automation I have or want is my solar system, because it requires some “if then” logic to operate. It compares my desired temperature with the current water temperature, then determines if solar heat is available at the panels. If so, it opens the solar valve and ramps up my VS pump, to the preselected speed for supporting the solar system. When finished heating the pool, it closes the valve and returns control to the pump. In order for this to work the solar panel and pump are both Pentair (SolarTouch controller & Intelliflo Pump).

My other speed settings and timing are all preprogrammed on my main pump. As far as my SWG % setting, since you need test results first, you are already at the pool, so I see no real advantage to remote control. All of my lights and other functions are simply on or off, so simple off the shelf Smart Switches can control those, (if I want remote control). That allows me to use Hayward for my SWG, single speed spa pump, heater, etc. Yet my main pump and solar are Pentair.

Chief,

I see nothing at all wrong with your approach..

Not sure how all this started, but my whole point is.. If someone is going to go out a spend big bucks on a pool automation system, they really need to do a little research and make sure that all the equipment they are buying can be controlled by the automation system they plan to buy.

It is kind of like buying tires for your car without ever looking at the tire size.. Just because it is round and made of rubber does not necessarily mean it will fit your car... :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Some great discussion here! I think what I'm hearing is that automation is great for dynamic scheduling of pool equipment, and works even better since you have more granular control if it's of the same brand (using the RS485 data cable)? So even though the equipment isn't the same in my case, I can still turn things on/off, but just can't fine tune settings without the proper hardware that talks to each other?

I'm looking for something really simple for now. The pool is close to the house, the equipment is all going into a cabana and it's really for convenience more than anything. Seems like for this, the EasyTouch with Screenlogic will get me scenario 1 (on/off and timers of equipment) and scenario 2 (granular controls) requires me to rethink my equipment choices.

S,

What I'm trying to say, and not doing a very good job at it, is that you are half right and half wrong. I agree whole heartedly that the EasyTouch controls most things with relays and as such it can control anything that only needs AC power applied to turn it on/off, no matter what brand it is.. But if you have a different brand of Variable Speed pump or Saltwater Generator, the EasyTouch cannot talk to those products and control them. Most VS pumps and SWCGS are controlled over a communications bus and not just turned on/off. While it could turn them on/off, that is not what automation is all about. You want to be able to read the SWCG and see what the salt reading is, you want to be able to adjust the cell's output by pushing an icon on your computer screen. You want to be able to adjust the pump speed up or down using an icon.. You cannot do those things unless the automation system can "talk" with the pump and the SWCG. For the most part, various brands of pool equipment will not talk with one another.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think the variable speed pumps can be hacked fairly easy. Not so sure about the SWCGS systems but I suspect those too can be hacked. They are just sensor inputs that need to be hacked to EasyTouch controller.
See this thread regarding Hayward VSP on EasyTouch: https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...d-Equipment-with-Pentair-Easytouch-Automation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.