Automation - EasyTouch vs IntelliConnect

cipher

Jun 11, 2010
Oakville, Canada
I've just ordered a Pentair IntelliFlo VSF pump (11056) to replace my failing single speed pump. At the same time, I've been considering switching over from Chlorine to a SWG like the Pentair IC40 and adding an automation option to control all this.

For the automation options, I was quoted the following from my pool store (Canadian prices):

1) EasyTouch ($1050) + IC40 SWG ($950) + Screenlogic 2 ($500)
2) IntelliConnect ($600) + IC40 SWG ($950)

The difference between these two options is around $1000 so I'm trying to figure out what you sacrifice when moving from EasyTouch/Screenlogic2 to their entry level IntelliConnect system. Anyone know what the difference is between these two automation systems at the feature level and app level?

c,

The IntelliConnect is pretty new to us and I have yet to see any feedback from any of our members that owns one... As an owner of an EasyTouch with an IC40, I can say that I am less than impressed with the IntelliConnect. Here are some Pros and Cons differences between the two systems.

Both systems allow you to have control over the IntelliFlo and IntelliChlor via RS-485 com buss.

Both systems allow you to use your phone, tablet, or phone to control the pool automation.

The IntelliConnect (IC) has only two relays, the EasyTouch (ET) has four.

Both systems use one of the available relays to control the IC40. That leaves one relay in the IC and three in the ET... that you can use to control other things like your pool light, or pad light or landscape lights or booster pump or ???

The ET can come with a built-in IC40 power supply, the IC does not. This means with the IC you would have to use an external SWCG power center. An IC40 and Power center cost $900 US dollars, so I suspect that your pool builder left the power center off of his quote...

The ET can control two valves the IC cannot control any valves.

The ET can have 12 schedules or programs... there is no indication as to how many schedules the IC can have ??? Could be more or less but the manual does not say... :confused:

The ET and ScreenLogic uses a wireless (Not Wi-Fi) transceiver or a wired connection to control the automation. The IC uses your household Wi-Fi system.

The standard ET comes with a built-in load center which provides a place for all the system circuit breakers. The IC has no load center.

The ET can control a heater, the IC cannot.

An EasyTouch with internal SWCG power supply and IC40 is about $1150 US money... See this link... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520593

ScreenLogic is about $360 US money... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

I wish I had more info, but that is about all I could glean from the IC manual.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

If you go with the EasyTouch, make sure the you do NOT get the cheap "lite" version of the ET... Anything with an 'L' in the model number is a lite version... and just like with salad dressing, they just do not taste right... :p

Thank you for the great info and detailed reply Jim.

My pool system is pretty simple (pump, heater, and possibly an IC40), but it still sounds like the Intelliconnect (IC) would be lacking in my situation compared with EasyTouch (ET). Another concern I have is that the apps on both platforms wold be different and the ones offered for IC less powerful.

I think I'll continue to do more research and wait for some additional reviews to come out before deciding. Also, I've read that Pentair are planning to release their IntelliCenter panel so hopefully that comes soon so I can include that in the comparison.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.