Automating equipment across various manufacturers.

sterfry1988

Jun 22, 2018
Austin, TX
I have inherited some pool equipment and installed some of my own before understanding that cross-manufacture automation is a bit tricky.

I have researched some of the pentair stuff but it seems quite pricey and honestly doesn't look super sleek(only supports amazon Echo, Android support seems sub par etc). One of their newer products does not support heater control(IntelliConnect)?

What I want to do is be able to control my pool equipment via mobile and ideally Google Assistant.

The ability program set "scenes" such as "Spa mode", "spot cleaning", or "pool mode" would be nice.

The products and actions I am looking to connect and automate would be the following:
  • Getting a remote temperature reading of the pool.
  • Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump
    • Changing speeds, getting alerts if left on etc.
  • 1 return and 1 suction valve(Currently have manual 3 port n/l valves 2")
    • Do they sell actuators that can be "bolted on" to existing valves?
  • Turning on and adjusting my Raypak P-R266A-EN-C Heater
    • Being able to set/view the current pool temperature.
    • Monitoring of Natural Gas usage*
  • Jandy Pool Color LED(toggle power to change light / light sequence)
  • Jandy 1.5 240v spa blower
  • Booster pump for the pressure cleaner.*
  • Auto chemical monitoring/adding*
  • Total electricity used*

I have an existing home automation setup that uses Homeassistant which if I could tie into here via Zwave/some other protocol would be nice.

Are there products that currently target a smorgasbord of products like my setup?

Are there systems which have more customization than others? Being able to leverage an API would be sweet.

* Nice to have not really a priority.

Thanks!

s,

The main three items that need to be the same brand are the Automation System, any VS pump, and any SWCG... For them to communicate they really need to be the same brand.

From your notes above your best bet would be a Pentair EasyTouch, with ScreenLogic... See this link... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520540

And ScreenLogic... See this link... https://sunplay.com/collections/pentair-easytouch-control-systems/products/pentair-screenlogic-interface-and-wireless-522104

Do not get any EasyTouch with the letter 'L' in the model number, such as PL4 or PSL4... These are lite models and just salad dressing, they just do not taste right... :p

ScreenLogic can connect to Alexa, but I have never used that function, so you will need to research that a little more. Almost all pool automation systems are about 20 years behind the times..

Almost all automation systems can control almost all brands of heaters, so that is not a problem.

Anything that runs off of 120 or 220 volts and is either on/off (Like a spa blower motor) can be controlled by one of the high voltage relays... The more relays you have the more stuff you can turn on/off.

We have not found any chemical monitoring system that really works.... You are the monitor... :p You can certainly get automated dispensing systems, but you still need to test and adjust the amount of chemicals being dispensed.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Pool automation is way behind as far as the latest technology. Most brands have their own systems.

Some have spent time and made hacks and I read a very long thread about someone creating a remote using a pi, but not many have the time, patience or knowledge.

With that said the Pentair Easytouch and Screen Logic interface will do most everything a pool owner would want remotely via phone, pc or tablet. There are others but that is what I have and it works well or as designed.

Ah ok, yeah I wasn't super impressed with the technology especially at the price point. I will read about it more. Thanks all.

- - - Updated - - -

I have inherited some pool equipment and installed some of my own before understanding that cross-manufacture automation is a bit tricky.

I have researched some of the pentair stuff but it seems quite pricey and honestly doesn't look super sleek(only supports amazon Echo, Android support seems sub par etc). One of their newer products does not support heater control(IntelliConnect)?

What I want to do is be able to control my pool equipment via mobile and ideally Google Assistant.

The ability program set "scenes" such as "Spa mode", "spot cleaning", or "pool mode" would be nice.

The products and actions I am looking to connect and automate would be the following:
  • Getting a remote temperature reading of the pool.
  • Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST pump
    • Changing speeds, getting alerts if left on etc.
  • 1 return and 1 suction valve(Currently have manual 3 port n/l valves 2")
    • Do they sell actuators that can be "bolted on" to existing valves?
  • Turning on and adjusting my Raypak P-R266A-EN-C Heater
    • Being able to set/view the current pool temperature.
    • Monitoring of Natural Gas usage*
  • Jandy Pool Color LED(toggle power to change light / light sequence)
  • Jandy 1.5 240v spa blower
  • Booster pump for the pressure cleaner.*
  • Auto chemical monitoring/adding*
  • Total electricity used*

I have an existing home automation setup that uses Homeassistant which if I could tie into here via Zwave/some other protocol would be nice.

Are there products that currently target a smorgasbord of products like my setup?

Are there systems which have more customization than others? Being able to leverage an API would be sweet.

* Nice to have not really a priority.

Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed response. I reached out to pentair and they did not have Google Assistant integration and I do not want to really purchase an echo on top of the ~1.5k control system. Is the current market for pool automation just not really there? Do most pool owners defer all the pool equipment/maintenance to a third party? I feel like this would flow naturally with all the various advances in home automation.

It’s based on technology that’s old and slow to upgrade. One reason I believe this is most pool equipment is set it and forget it or just on/off. The good news is the top 3 don’t charge a subset fee to use their servers.

I will say say that Jandy iAquaLink can control pentair vs pumps.

As Jim pointed out go with the brand that will control your future SWCG :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.