Automatic Pool cover recommendation

Hello Hilmi-
Skippy and I really like the security of our cover. Knowing that no one can accidentally enter the pool gives us peace of mind. The cover limits evaporation and chemical use greatly also. Finally, the pool stays much cleaner! yay!

If you're just building now, having the cover tracks built in to the wall of the pool wall edge and the cover sits rolled in to a crypt behind the end of the pool.

For pools already installed, or a possibly cheaper installation, is one where the tracks are installed on top of the pool deck. The cover roll sits on top of the deck often "hidden" under a long deck type box. Mine was about your size and 9 years ago cost $7.5k

Another option is a quasi-manual cover that isn't electric run, but rather uses a battery type drill to make the "roll/unroll" mechanism to work.

Maddie

Reactions: bmoreswim
Hey Folks -

Getting close to start my new pool. Been doing some research and strongly leaning towards adding an automatic pool cover.

Any recommendations on a good & cost effective solution ? My pool will be 16 x 31.

Thanks!

Hilmi
I love my autocover. I've written about it a bunch on here :p
It makes me feel good from a safety perspective. It keeps the UV off the pool. It keeps debris out of the pool. It helps control the pH. It even heats the pool slightly.

I love my auto cover. It is easy to open/close, keeps the pool clean, keeps the water warmer and doubles as my winter cover. If I was building from scratch I'd have the hidden cover that sits in a crypt. Mine is a retro-fit so the tracks run on the pool deck and the cover hides in a long bench when not in use. There is no such thing as a cost effective auto cover. It is a $10,000 luxury.

What kind of pool are you installing? The type may change which cover you go with. The APC, IMO, cover looks real nice and is almost purposely built for a liner pool but also looks great on a FB pool. Probably would also work well on a plaster pool as well. I'm not a fan of the Coverstar brand for a FB pool, that is the combo I have it it just doesn't have as good of a "finished" look as the APC in my opinion. Free form or geometric, you could have an auto cover work on both. From my research, different PBs price them differently, usually "starting" around $10k, and can go up to $15k.

Cost effective and autocovers are not usually in the same sentence. They are a luxury, though one with great benefits. But expensive. The price ranges discussed above are what I've seen also.

Coverstar here. Larger and rectangular with recessed rails and cover pit. I've gotten happier with mine over time. I like it a lot, but at first, there was an issue with it tripping the limit switch and it would not close all the way all the time. It turned out to be a bad pulley, that took them a few times over a year to identify. That left me nervous about it's operation, and me thinking it would always be fiddly. But after that, aside from a broken rope at about 6 years (maintenance item) it's been pretty good. And one wi-fi switch failure. Now I just use the standard switch.

They are all expensive to repair if you have issues. There is some DIY capability on repairs but I'd describe it as moderate, not easy DIY. I paid to have my ropes replaced. I do a lot of stuff but won't bother with that.

Reactions: Huzier
My Coverstar rep has a spring cleaning, preventative maintenance program. I'll invest in that every other year or so. I did have a cover failure where a seam split. They came right out and glued it as a temporary fix at no charge. They later replaced the cover under warranty. The cover is covered but the installation is not ($$$). With a little discussion, we agreed to split the installation costs. All in all I've been very happy with the cover and the service.

Reactions: hilmiorta
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.