Automatic Overflow not Draining

cheeseman

Jun 2, 2019
Florida
In gound 14x28 new remarcite pool. This pool sits between the house and a lake. There is a Pool Miser style automatic fill/ overflow drain (http://edc.poolsupplyworld.com/wpdf/poolmiser_instructions.pdf) connected which drains to the lake. The pool is about 16 ft higher than the lake. Marcite job, refilling, and startup have been going well. We are about 3 weeks into the startup procedure. The pool was filled to 1/2 way up the skimmer. Last week we got quite a bit of rain that brought the level to the top of the skimmer. Normally the Pool Miser would level the pool back to 1/2 way up the skimmer, but it's not doing the job. There does not appear to be any siphon vortex at all in the 1" drain line. I thought that it may have been clogged so I blew it out with the air compressor. Plenty of agitation in the lake where the drain line terminates, but still no joy. This system worked as it should have prior to the remarcite job, even keeping the pool from overflowing during a hurricane. It seems that the laws of fluid dynamics have ceased to exist. Anyone have any idea what may be the problem?

It seems that the laws of fluid dynamics have ceased to exist.
:ROFLMAO: This made me chuckle and I immediately thought about the Robin Williams scene from the movie RV where he is trying to dump the holding tanks "Ok Archimedes"
If you have never seen it and want a good laugh...go watch here: Ok Archimedes

Ok...to your problem. Logic would dictate that something is clogged. I have two gravity overflow drains that are plumbed into my skimmers and this past Saturday we had a big storm that dumped 3.48" of rain in a few hours. My overflows have worked flawlessly since I put the pool in. It consist of two 1" lines from the skimmers that run downhill away from the pool. Sunday morning my pool was almost over the top of the skimmer plates. I went to where it is supposed to drain and there was a tiny trickle coming out of each pipe along with a ton of dead beetles and small leaves/tree junk. I pulled the junk out of the way and more came out and still just a trickle. I ended up getting a garden hose and putting in the skimmer hole that the overflow pipe hooks too and it blew out all the debris that the storm blew in, I bet there was 5' worth of stuff in each overflow pipe. Then there was a good flow like normal.

I know you said you blew air it...but water under pressure from a hose would be better choice. Also, unlike me with the single line from the skimmer, you have 2 lines to check...in addition to the line running to the lake the equalizer line that runs from your poolmiser back to your pool could be clogged. I would use the garden hose while having a helper watch the other end of each opening while you flush the line with water pressure.

I am sure you have checked...but your poolmiser could be out of adjustment and adding water as fast as it's draining out. I doubt this is the case since you said there was no siphon on the 1" drain at all.

Thanks for the replies. I seriously doubt that is air-locked. I was just out there futzing with it again. Intake from the pool to the Pool Miser is clear as tested with a garden hose. I blew the line out again to the lake, thinking that whatever may have been clogging it temporarily blew out when I did it the first time then replugged the line after the air stopped. When I removed the air chuck the water drained down until it filled the drain line and then stooped. I went into the lake and elevated the drain above the muck/ weeds/ little critters. Air blasted out nicely. I thought perhaps there is a check valve in there that may be sticking, so I blew it out the other way, and had a nice water spout coming out of the Pool Miser fill/drain box. If the equalizer line was clogged wouldn't the water in the drain box still drain? (Edit: I used the term "intake from the pool" when it is actually the equalizer line. That is clear)

Lastly, I do not have the water on for the autofill, so that is not the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I seriously doubt that is air-locked. I was just out there futzing with it again. Intake from the pool to the Pool Miser is clear as tested with a garden hose. I blew the line out again to the lake, thinking that whatever may have been clogging it temporarily blew out when I did it the first time then replugged the line after the air stopped. When I removed the air chuck the water drained down until it filled the drain line and then stooped. I went into the lake and elevated the drain above the muck/ weeds/ little critters. Air blasted out nicely. I thought perhaps there is a check valve in there that may be sticking, so I blew it out the other way, and had a nice water sport coming out of the Pool Miser fill/drain box. If the equalizer line were clogged wouldn't the water in the drain box still drain? (Edit: I used the term "intake from the pool" when it is actually the equalizer line. That is clear)

Lastly, I do not have the water on for the autofill, so that is not the issue.
Have you tried the drain line with garden hose? Air could be finding a way through a clog...I feel like when you said: "When I removed the air chuck the water drained down until it filled the drain line and then stooped."
I feel like you blew the clog a little further down the line..but not out. Water should flush it out. If the water does not do it, you will need a snake like a plumber uses to unclog a drain. How many feet from the miser to the end of the drain pipe?

Thanks for being persistent Poolbreh. That did it. I took a female hose coupling and threw a few wraps of Gorilla tape around the barb end. Stuck it in the 1" drain, elevated the terminal end out of the water, and had my wife turn the spigot on. She coughed, spit, and choked, (the drain line, what else were you thinking). I waited till very few bubbles showed. Then removed the hose. It immediately started pulling the water from the bucket.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.