Yamo207

May 23, 2020
Maine
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I recently had a new 21ft above ground pool installed and im looking to purchase an automatic cleaner. Robots seem to be the best option but I feel like it might be overkill for a small above ground. So I'm stuck between a pressure side and suction side cleaner. I have a VS pump but don't mind bumping it up for a cleaning season. My other concern is that I have a DE filter and I don't want to be cleaning/recharging that more regularly because of the suction side cleaner. I may be over thinking this but that's what I do. Any help/opinions would be appreciated. These are the cleaners I'm looking at but I'm open to suggestions. Polaris vac-sweep 65, Zodiac MX6, or Dolphin Escape (or E-10).

You really do not want a pressure side cleaner as that requires another pump... On the suction side cleaner do you have a suction line going to the pool? That is required to have a suction side cleaner...

SO that leaves the robot :) Give marina pool a call and ask them about it... Home - Marina Pool Spa & Patio

You probably want the S50 robot from Maytronics. Goes on the floor only, as I don't believe your pool's walls could handle being climbed, right?

Marina Pools in Colorado was a pleasure. Keep trying their phone lines, I tried calling 3 times and finally got through. I got the shipment in 3 days. So far I have found that they have the most competitive pricing. I haven't found cheaper pricing for the robots they sell.

E-10/s50/escape will all be fine. I have a nautilus cc that climbs the walls & is no issue either (if u were contemplating a wall climber).
The s50 or any dolphin that Marina sells will have at least the 2 yr warranty since they only do over the phone sales. The e10 & other internet models just have 1yr.
Not having to fuss w/ your automatic cleaner is a priceless investment 😁

Thank you all for the replies. I think I've narrowed it down to a to a robot. Now I just need to decide which one. The e10/s50 have attractive price tags but I don't want to skimp a couple hundred bucks if I'm loosing a lot of features over the nautilus cc. I know the main thing is the ability to climb walls. In your experience does the nautilus climb walls in an above ground pool? Does it reach the water line?

Reactions: charliej
Thank you all for the replies. I think I've narrowed it down to a to a robot. Now I just need to decide which one. The e10/s50 have attractive price tags but I don't want to skimp a couple hundred bucks if I'm loosing a lot of features over the nautilus cc. I know the main thing is the ability to climb walls. In your experience does the nautilus climb walls in an above ground pool? Does it reach the water line?
Mine does - it just doesn’t have the extra pump that allows it to move horizontally once it gets to the waterline. It goes up, scrubs a minute, then comes back down.
It also only has 1 brush but that has been more than sufficient in my vinyl pool w/ many wrinkles.
I also picked it because it has a longer cord than the e10/s50 (i have a 33’ round pool), it also has scheduling & automation mode which were important to me.

Mine does - it just doesn’t have the extra pump that allows it to move horizontally once it gets to the waterline. It goes up, scrubs a minute, then comes back down.
It also only has 1 brush but that has been more than sufficient in my vinyl pool w/ many wrinkles.
I also picked it because it has a longer cord than the e10/s50 (i have a 33’ round pool), it also has scheduling & automation mode which were important to me.
So I ordered the nautilus cc (it's $599 on Amazon right now). Since ordering I'm somewhat concerned about it not being made specifically for above ground pools. I'm afraid of punctures and the possibility of wearing my liner down. How long have been using yours and have you had either of these issues? Also did you get the ultra fine basket or just use the standard basket?

So I ordered the nautilus cc (it's $599 on Amazon right now). Since ordering I'm somewhat concerned about it not being made specifically for above ground pools. I'm afraid of punctures and the possibility of wearing my liner down. How long have been using yours and have you had either of these issues? Also did you get the ultra fine basket or just use the standard basket?
It only has one brush just like the other above ground models so i’m not worried- even the next higher up models w/ 2 brushes only have 1 “active” brush anyway. I would however steer away from the more powerful top of the line robots due to the fact that they are more heavy & could push on the wall. A vinyl liner is a vinyl liner so i think thats more of a suggestion than a requirement that certain bots are for above ground. I also don’t see the need for one that moves horizontally across the waterline/tile line if you have a vinyl pool. The up then down pretty much does the trick.
I just have the regular basket that came with it & so far I’m happy with it’s performance. I would probably have to clean out the fine filter one daily whereas i just need to rinse the regular one every 3or4 days. If i get one i will likely just use it on occasion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.