Automated Chlorination, am i crazy or would this be interesting.

May 8, 2018
Winder, GA
So I was thinking of making something so I only have to deal with Cl like 2x a month. This is going to get hairy.
So, saw this on amazon - Amazon.com: DC 12V Solenoid Valve, DN20 G3/4" 1 In 4 Out Normally Closed Plastic Electromagnetic Switch Water Drain Flow Switch Solenoid Valve: Home Improvement
then i saw this - Amazon.com: JBtek 4 Channel DC 5V Relay Module for Arduino Raspberry Pi DSP AVR PIC ARM: Computers & Accessories
pair that with a Raspberry Pi some wire and some PVC tubing and 4 PVC "tanks" (as well as one of those aquarium air check valves) I could have 4 Cl adds done via Programming
Assuming i know the approximate Cl usage for my pool that is.

am I crazy? This project would cost ~ $30-40 (i have an extra Raspberry Pi laying around ( extra 30-40 if you don't) and a 3d printer for custom parts)

would be using 12% cl which lasts ~3days per gal
Valves and tubes are PVC which are good with Cl at 12%

Yes, search Stenner pump on the site. You will find many DIY installs of them. It's a good solution if you insist on not using a SWCG. ;)

well, 1 my AGP has metal top ridge frame thingies and i've been told that it would rust even quicker with SWCG.

2 the "cheap" Peristaltic Dosing Pump's have ridiculously small tubing like 2mm ID tubing, I'm finding trouble finding any fittings to work with it to connect it to a container that would hold the Cl.

Nothing crazy about the idea of automatic dosing of liquid chlorine...quite a few of us have done it. The most popular option seems to be a Stenner pump. You need not get fancy with arduinos or any smartness unless you want to. I picked up on ebay a used stenner pump with built in timer. No special fittings needed just put a hole in your chlorine container and run the plastic tube through it.
I find the downside with the pump is that my chlorine needs vary quite a bit depending on solar cover usage, pool usage, etc.

I've considered using a smart outlet so I can control dosing with a smart phone and/or automatic routines through Alexa. I haven't looked into whether I can make that work with my built in timer (my idea is to simply set the timer to on 24 hours a day). I could set Alexa to dose daily the minimum amount I'd need them add additional run time based on my needs. For what it's worth in my system every 20 minutes of pump time adds 1ppm chlorine.

well, 1 my AGP has metal top ridge frame thingies and i've been told that it would rust even quicker with SWCG.

2 the "cheap" Peristaltic Dosing Pump's have ridiculously small tubing like 2mm ID tubing, I'm finding trouble finding any fittings to work with it to connect it to a container that would hold the Cl.
All pools are salt water pools.. I bet your salt level is over 1000 to 1500 ppm right now... That is why we tell everyone switching to SWG to check before adding salt.. They are just trying to scare you into not getting an easy way of getting chlorine into the pool... SWG was the best thing I have done, if mine died today I would have a replacement tomorrow :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
biggest thing i'm worried about at this point is I wanted a bulkhead fitting to go into the side of the Cl container (with an air check valve in the lid (aquarium aerator inline type), but there don't appear to be any with a 2mm hose barb for a reasonable price. I am considering 3D printing one myself, either that or just drill a hole in the lid of the bucket and use an electrical rubber grommet that fits it sorta sung but not too snug (don't wanna create a vaccum).

also, is there any reason other than style that i cant just drape (affixed using cable ties adhesive or w/e) the hose over the lip of the pool by the jet with it dripping down into the pool vs hard plumbing it. With the cheap peristatic pump I am using idk if it could manage to overcome the back pressure direct plumbed.

also, is there any reason other than style that i cant just drape (affixed using cable ties adhesive or w/e) the hose over the lip of the pool by the jet
Not saying it will, Just pointing out a possible issue…… :)

the sun reflecting off the pool or the lip can be brutal and melt the hose. You set it all up and keep tabs on it for a few weeks and pat yourself on the back. (As you deserve at that point). Then a few weeks later the sun position / angle changes and melts the hose.

can someone tell me why 12.5% Cl is more expensive in a 55G drum than in individual 1 Gal containers ($3.5-4 each)
Well for starters, most things available for commercial purposes are overpriced because the purchasing agent of many smaller businesses do not have the time or ability to source the best price and location of every last supply. So an office just has its contract with W.B. Mason for example and they win on some things and lose on others.

Also the strong stuff is more expensive as the 1 gallon jugs are typically 10% and not 12.5%.

I use a 5 gallon bucket. I drilled a hole for the tube in the top of the bucket, just below the lip so that lid removal is easy. I bought a lid that snaps on but has a thread on/off cap that's just about the diameter of the bucket. For what it's worth the first bucket I had cracked in the bottom and a good three gallons of chlorine leaked out. I'm not sure if that was a fluke or if the plastic couldn't tolerate the chlorine. It was a standard blue 5 gallon bucket from Lowes.
I must admit I haven't been using the dosing system this year so I haven't had the replacement bucket in use long enough to see if it was a fluke or a compatibility issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.