Autofill constantly runs

Jul 19, 2022
CA, USA
We got our pool 1 year ago. The autofill is a traditional float mechanism. We have noticed water dumped from the overflow which goes out to our sidewalk. It appears to be 5-18 gallons, and the frequency has increased to just about every day. This happens overnight from what we can tell or the early hours of the morning. It never happens during the day.

During the day when I open the lid I see it is constantly running at a slow but steady flow. I thought this might be due to evaporation, but back to the overflow issue- the water level sits at 1-2 inches below the overflow opening. I have even lowered the float which worked for a bit but eventually we noticed the drainage on the street again.

I now think that it might not be normal to constantly run, because I have adjusted the float to be fully submerged in the water and it still runs, no matter how low I put it. Of course, gently pulling it up by hand stops the water flow. Pics below. One shows that I basically dunked the float and it still runs.

Any ideas? I can replace it for cheap but I want to be sure it really is a faulty float valve, especially because it's not even 1 year old. For now I've shut off the water supply and am just keeping an eye on the water level. Thanks.

1660188022383.png
1660188036264.png

The mechanism is about the same as a toilet tank float and valve. Those can leak. These can leak.

When it leaks, it raises the pool's level to the overflow. Any more runs out the drain.

The guts can normally be replaced as a unit. If you're handy, it should not be a big job. Look around for a manufacturer and model number. Get the parts and go.

Or take pictures with more perspective so someone here with the same unit can help identify it. (Mine is a Poolmiser. It doesn't look like yours. Scratch one!)

Or hire a pool professional and grit your teeth :rolleyes:

Last edited:
We got our pool 1 year ago. The autofill is a traditional float mechanism. We have noticed water dumped from the overflow which goes out to our sidewalk. It appears to be 5-18 gallons, and the frequency has increased to just about every day. This happens overnight from what we can tell or the early hours of the morning. It never happens during the day.

During the day when I open the lid I see it is constantly running at a slow but steady flow. I thought this might be due to evaporation, but back to the overflow issue- the water level sits at 1-2 inches below the overflow opening. I have even lowered the float which worked for a bit but eventually we noticed the drainage on the street again.

I now think that it might not be normal to constantly run, because I have adjusted the float to be fully submerged in the water and it still runs, no matter how low I put it. Of course, gently pulling it up by hand stops the water flow. Pics below. One shows that I basically dunked the float and it still runs.

Any ideas? I can replace it for cheap but I want to be sure it really is a faulty float valve, especially because it's not even 1 year old. For now I've shut off the water supply and am just keeping an eye on the water level. Thanks.

View attachment 445271
View attachment 445272
Those are inexpensive, $15-20 on Amazon. Best to just replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.