Autocovers and SWCGs -- how do you schedule your pump?

lazygirl1978

Gold Supporter
Oct 20, 2018
Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I tried to find this answer through search but have so far come up with nothing --- happy to see links to other threads/school if that's the answer! I have just turned the saltwater chlorine generator on, and it's magic. I love it. I've had to run the pump a lot, though, to clear my dirty construction site water, so my chlorine has been high (I finally turned down the SWCG to lowest setting). I know I'll have to play with it a lot generally, but I'm wondering how you folks with (1) autocovers and (2) SWGs schedule your pump, where do you keep your CYA levels, etc.. I looks like I'll be able to get by with a lower CYA concentration, so I haven't added a lot yet. (I just had to dump a bunch of water from rain, so I need to test.) Would love to hear thoughts. I get my cover next week!

I vary my pump run time and cell % based on 1) hours I want to skim and 2) amount of FC I want/need (those two always keep my water clean so I don't need to consider that factor). When I'm using my cover, which is mostly April-May and September-October and assorted cool days in between or vacations, I just play around with either to obtain my goals. Which might mean I change it a time or two per week. I'm inclined to let the FC rise somewhat above normal range, then set to zero for a day or two, before I tweak ad nauseum daily. No need to have your pool run your life.

I learned yesterday that some covers (Cover Pools covers) can have the option to lower runtime or cell % when closed. That's pretty slick depending on the algorithm.

I keep my CYA in the normal salt range of 60-80 generally (though it's 90 now because it always lowers from splashout because of our autocover wall being lower, which causes water to flow up and over and out) because my cover is open full-time for several months mid-season.

Reactions: lazygirl1978
I keep my cover closed all year - except when swimming of course - so I run my pool with a lower CYA - around 40 has worked well for me.

I have a Cover-Pools cover and the corresponding PCB that allows the Jandy SWG to run a lower output when the cover is closed. I find I need much less chlorine produced when it is covered.

I run the SWG at 20% and the pump for 4hrs in the winter (our water stays in the 50's typically here for most of the winter).

As the water warms up in the spring I slowly add extra hours to the run time. I just bumped it up to filter for 5 hours with the SWG at 22%. Around the end of next month I will probably add another hour of pump run time - by July/August I max my run time at 7 hours and the SWG is usually happy at 25%. I might bump up the SWG a little here and there depending on how it behaves.

When it is open I have the SWG set to 35%-40%, but I don't have it open enough to know how accurate that value is - our nights are cold here so I have to keep it closed 95% of the time to keep the pool warm enough to use without another heat source.

Last edited:
Reactions: lazygirl1978
I learned yesterday that some covers (Cover Pools covers) can have the option to lower runtime or cell % when closed. That's pretty slick depending on the algorithm.

The algorithim works great for the SWG % - however the pump/filtration % mode only works if you set it above 75%, which is too much of an adjustment so I don't use that mode.

I enclosed a screen shot showing the Automation page that has these adjustments for clarity.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.