Auto filler making loud rattling noise

MS2AK2AZ

Jun 17, 2023
Sun City West, AZ
I’ve only noticed this a couple of times. The first was last winter and I thought maybe it was a sticky valve due to cold weather. I heard it again this morning and it’s 90+ degrees outside. It sounds like a bunch of rocks rattling around inside an aluminum can. Any clues as to what the issue is? Thx

Welcome to the forum.
What type of auto fill do you have? Can you show us a picture of your set up?

I’ve noticed that the supply to the unit is smaller than the pipe going to the pool. Seems like I saw somewhere that this can be a problem. The solution proposed would be to decrease the flow out of the unit. Any idea if this might be the solution?
Where did that "suggestion" come from? I'm afraid I don't know anything about rattling Back Flow Preventers. But you have a good one, and good ones can be tested by someone with the proper test equipment.

If you google "back flow preventer testing in Sun City West" you'll see a slew of companies that can do it. But...

These days it seems plumbers want $300 just to show up, and the price goes up from there if they have to lift a finger. A good BFP (you have what's known as a vacuum breaker), suitable for a pool auto-filler, has gone up a lot in price, but is still about a hundred bucks.

Here's one similar to what I have, it's a good brand:

If you have any DIY in you, you might find replacing it is cheaper than even getting it tested. And if they find something wrong with it, you might pay double to have it replaced PLUS the charges for testing and a couple of house calls. There are also rebuild kits available, so you could fool around with one of those and a YouTube video about how to rebuild your model.

The image you post shows only the unit, not any of the plumbing. Can you take a shot of it further back? Is is connected with PVC, or iron pipe or copper? If it's PVC, the DIY replacement would actually be very easy.

So those are just some alternatives for you.

I've sent an email to my BFP guru buddy to see if he has any suggestions. So you might stand by for his response. When folks here point BFP questions to the resident BFP expert (me!) it's really only because I know a guy who has the answers! It was he that provided a lot of the info in our Further Reading article. It might take him a few days to respond to me...

Last edited:
Where did that "suggestion" come from? I'm afraid I don't know anything about rattling Back Flow Preventers. But you have a good one, and good ones can be tested by someone with the proper test equipment.

If you google "back flow preventer testing in Sun City West" you'll see a slew of companies that can do it. But...

These days it seems plumbers want $300 just to show up, and the price goes up from there if they have to lift a finger. A good BFP (you have what's known as a vacuum breaker), suitable for a pool auto-filler, has gone up a lot in price, but is still about a hundred bucks.

Here's one similar to what I have, it's a good brand:

If you have any DIY in you, you might find replacing it is cheaper than even getting it tested. And if they find something wrong with it, you might pay double to have it replaced PLUS the charges for testing and a couple of house calls. There are also rebuild kits available, so you could fool around with one of those and a YouTube video about how to rebuild your model.

The image you post shows only the unit, not any of the plumbing. Can you take a shot of it further back? Is is connected with PVC, or iron pipe or copper? If it's PVC, the DIY replacement would actually be very easy.

So those are just some alternatives for you.

I've sent an email to my BFP guru buddy to see if he has any suggestions. So you might stand by for his response. When folks here point BFP questions to the resident BFP expert (me!) it's really only because I know a guy who has the answers! It was he that provided a lot of the info in our Further Reading article. It might take him a few days to respond to me...
IMG_8366.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As replacement projects go, that's almost as easy as it could get. If you're interested, one of us here can walk you through the steps. The location of that electrical outlet is unfortunate. It'll complicate the replacement a bit, but you'll likely be fine even with that somewhat in the way.

It was unfortunate that the plumber didn't work around that better. BFPs can weep, and they shouldn't be located over an outlet. If you're feeling ambitious, you could use the replacement as an opportunity to move the BFP over a bit, away from that outlet.

Vacuum breakers do what they do (somehow) by monitoring pressures on each side of them. So I've asked my buddy about this notion of the size of the pipe going in vs going out. I can't imagine why that would affect your BFP, but he'll know if it does or not.

Reactions: Ahultin
And if you're feeling especially ambitious...

Some of us with hard water for our pool fill water connect our auto-fillers to our water softeners. That helps control the inevitable CH rise that necessitates periodic water replacement. Do you have a water softener, or are you considering one?

Do you have high CH? Have you ever had to drain and refill your pool because of high CH? Do you have to do that often?

If you want to explore any of these topics, now's the time. I replumbed my auto-filler to my water softener, complete with a BFP in the mix, and have been quite happy with that solution. Before then, my CH was out of control, so much so that it ruined my plaster finish which I then had to replace.

Heard back, his take:

The two different pipe sizes comin' and going would affect nothing in the BFP. The rattle could be related to small stones, maybe mineral deposits, that came in with the water supply, rattling around in the BFP, but he didn't think it would sound as you describe.

He thinks a BFP test would cost well over the cost of a new one, but maybe not the $300 exaggeration I suggested (that was me projecting). He cautioned that an installation of a new BFP, technically, is supposed to be followed up by a test inspection, which would punch a hole in my math. Though I would be willing to wager yours never got inspected (just based on what I've come to "appreciate" about pool builders). I installed two of my own, and my buddy inspected one but not the other. You can decide for yourself about the value of getting it inspected after installation or servicing.

He thinks your first step is to find a YouTube video for servicing that particular model and take it apart and look inside. Could be junk rattling around or a broken spring inside. Should be obvious. If you can't find a video, he suggested bavco.com. They primarily work with contractors, but might talk to you on the phone, they might know exactly what the rattle is. They have all sorts of how to videos for working on BFPs, but they're password protected. They might give you access during a call. Worth a shot if you can't find what you need on YouTube.

Last edited:
Side bar: I've had trouble with my auto-fill valve caused by fill-water crud. My auto-fill system, including my BFP, are now all behind a whole-house water filter. City water is supposed to be clean, of course, but hard water forms mineral deposits all along its route from water plant to house, so any sort of filter to help capture that crud can go a long way to a Trouble Free Pool. That goes for your other fixtures and household gizmos as well. Which is why the first thing I did when I moved into this house was to install a whole-house filter and a water softener. All my fixtures, my shower stalls, washer, dryer, dishwasher, toilets, etc, etc are all grateful. If was a few years later I figured out to start feeding the pool with softened/filtered water. Everybody's happy now.

I installed my softener and filter myself. Like tinker toys, it was pretty straight forward, and not all that expensive. Relatively cheap "insurance" when you consider the ever-rising cost of plumbing fixtures and household appliances. And I like showering in soft water, too. Win-win-win-win.

If you have a good pool water test kit, you can test the TA and CH of the water coming out of that hose bib attached to your BFP and report the results back here. We can give you a good idea of the kind of future pool maintenance you're in for, if you're interested...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.