Auto cover - Is this correct ? How did your installer leave it?

steve_NY

May 22, 2020
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi there. We have a pool under construction. The auto cover went in this week. It was installed by a separate company that our pool builder referred us to. I was expecting a lid/ cover over the box in the ground. Installer said they just leave it this way, and that we should get bluestone to cover the box. Is that correct and typical ? We are planning on pavers around the pool.
Masonry will not be done for a few months, I feel it is dangerous the way they left it open like this.

Also, should the cover be bunches up a little as it is in the far side of the picture ? The installer said it is supposed to look that way. They also said they come back and adjust it after the coping goes in.

Please share stories and pics on how you covered the box.

Attachments

• 8E31ABB3-437D-4438-A269-7413B5332AC8.png
    8E31ABB3-437D-4438-A269-7413B5332AC8.png
    402.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
It will get the same coping you are using unless you are using something else to cover it... Here is a picture from one of there videos, you can see they used the same exact coping to cover it.. It looks like they pulled one or 2 of the access coping pieces to look at the motors...

1616860823051.png

Reactions: bmoreswim
@steve_NY those are "walk-on" brackets. Are they supposed to leave them like that? Well, when they sold you the cover they may have discussed walk-on brackets and if you're like me, I really didn't understand what I bought till after those brackets were installed.

Those brackets are an upgrade. There is an powder coated, I think, aluminum that "could" have been installed but that is not walk-on. I don't have any photos of my cover brackets but I do have photos of the 24"x24" pavers I installed on my brackets.

Let me see I can find some photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
Here is a photo of the walk-on brackets when my pool was being filled. And a photo after I have had the 24"x24" pavers placed.
Firehose_e-g.jpg N-After-g.jpg

On the "sales agreement" we have for the cover, there is a section called "housing cover" that has different boxes/choices that can be checked. Ours says "custom", and there is also a box saying "none" that is not checked. So based on that section, it would seem that there should be something covering that included from the cover company.
They did charge an additional amount for the brackets ($1400).
My wife was the person that dealt with the cover company, and not sure if much was explained to her, as it was done over the phone in only a few minutes.
Also, the company that we have our agreement with has been sold to another company, and people she dealt with originally are no longer there. I don't think they even told us this, we just questioned it when they came to do the work and company name/address on truck was different company.
All of this is new to us, and I was not expecting it to look like that. Masonry will not be done for a few months, and it is a safety hazzard as it currently stands.
We met with a masonry company the other day, waiting on their estimate, curious what they will say for something to cover that.
Also, it is a concrete wall liner pool, so not quite sure what they do on the wall of the pool between the pool and cover box. Normally it would be coping, but I would have to look closer once the cover is open next. For something to cover the area of both the cover box and pool wall, it would have to be really big sized pieces of stone (maybe 4 feet long), not sure how easy that would be to move for any maintenance.

If the cover snags on a brace, it's going to rip the cover.

Contact the manufacturer and ask them about the situation.
There is no reason to believe the cover will snag unless it in incorrectly installed. It looks correct to me. Just short the stones. Contract sounds silent on the stones, though the custom could certainly refer to it being done by either party. The brackets and install doesn’t sound unreasonable. They aren’t quick to install correctly. I watched them spend hours installing ours.

You can see similar pictures in the first few pics of my build thread. Link in my signature. You can easily buy a piece of 2 x lumber to span the brackets for the interim and rig up a temporary attachment method.

The bunches in the cover are correct. They are a simple result of the excess side to side material needed for a proper install and that material has to go somewhere when it gets to the point of rising up on the dam wall to meet the reel.

Reactions: steve_NY
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.