Auto cover for new pool in Nebraska?

Mar 26, 2018
Omaha, NE
I have zero pool experience but this is about to change. We are currently building a new house and need to decide what kind of pool we want. The first and most important question as it influences the design of the pool is whether to get an auto cover or. Ideally we like to get an L-shaped pool as it fits neatly into our house design. If we get an auto cover, it changes the design to a rectangular 16x40 pool. Our pool will be relatively close to a large number of trees. I used to swim competitively and will be using the pool (hopefully) a lot for that purpose.

Nebraska's public pool season is June - Aug 15. I have three kids 6, 6 and 9. All can swim. Safety is not a huge issue from that perspective. Other info: we will likely use chlorine and a vinyl liner and plan on 4.5ft depth throughout.

I'd be getting primarily for its convenience features, i.e. heat retention, less cleanup, possibility to keep the pool open longer.

Given the Midwest location and use case does it make sense to get an auto cover and compromise the shape of the pool?

Thanks!

HI and welcome! I love L shaped pools! There are so many different things you can do in them!

If your wallet is deep enough I bet you can find someone to help you with a auto cover for a L pool. There was one pool a while ago that was L shaped and they were going to get a auto cover for it. They did not finish the build thread so I don't know if they did end up getting it.

Kim:kim:

Well then sounds like it will be a neat rectangle pool. Show us where the pool will be going and just how close the trees are. There are some ideas for planning ahead with equipment and such to help with leaf fall.

Here are a couple of picture showing the location of the pool. The other shot shows the a line of young trees. Basically the house backs towards a green area where the developer planted a number of trees. A couple will be be as close as 20 ft.

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

- - - Updated - - -

look at the picture on the bottom right of this site if this helps, it shouldn't be that hard to cover an L easier than a kidney or freeform I would think.

Our pool builder did talk about it but cost wise it just isn't an option.

Here are my thoughts as an autocover owner. That green area will be a forest before long, time flies. You will be happier in the long run with a cover I believe.

I notice that I have to keep quiet sometimes about not having to deal with leaves and other issues because others are dealing with such pain. It would be rude to say how nice an autocover is. So if you won’t be able to keep quiet about the benefits, you may need to forgo the cover or risk evil eyes from others.

Heat retention is a big plus. As is peace of mind for when you leave the kids home and don’t want them in the pool. You’ll be at that stage before you know it too.

Additionally, I don’t view the rectangle as a compromise for your situation because I think putting an L in your space is going to leave you with less deck space than you really need/want. With three kids and friends and family, you will want lots of deck space. So having that space near the house as all deck instead of pool will be a positive in the end too I believe.

On the down side, the cover will need replaced after 10 years or less for several thousand. There is maintenance to make it last that long as well. Not all use them as winter covers. I also have a separate safety cover I install.

If you have other questions let them fly.

After having an auto cover I would never build a pool without one. I have a lot of tree's and never have had to hand vacuum my pool and only have used my Polaris vacuum. Keeps heat in and doesn't use a lot of chlorine when the cover is closed. As noted above you may need to replace the fabric of the cover after 10 years... mine cost about 2K to replace. I also use a separate Loop Loc cover in the winter.

bmoreswim, thank you. That's good feedback. The L-shape looks better, we both feel but the lack of deck space is an excellent point. I have an unrelated question. In terms of depth the idea was to have a consistent depth of 4.5ft throughout. What are the reason that many build a deeper middle or end section? We were not planning on a diving board or a volley ball net. Are there other reasons?

Not really. Only to provide some variety for folks to be in or for different activities, whatever they may be.

I have no problem with a 4 1/2’ pool, not for me, but in general. No one will complain about being in the deep end for volleyball.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am glad I came here. The feedback makes sense to me. I created a drawing last night of what a rectangular pool could look like. We had really not given deck space any thought. Total greenhorns. Any one care to comment on this first design and layout?

1. My wife really wants a baja-style high platform. Is 6'x11' enough / too much?
2. A bench made sense to me. Is 12 ft reasonably long?
3. I could push the pool a couple of more feet toward the fence. I feel the deck is large enough at this point, especially considering that there are covered patio areas as well.
4. Any other items that should be included? We wont' do volleyball / basketball type of activities. I was thinking maybe a couple of bubblers on the baja platform.

A few comments below...

I am glad I came here. The feedback makes sense to me. I created a drawing last night of what a rectangular pool could look like. We had really not given deck space any thought. Total greenhorns. Any one care to comment on this first design and layout?

1. My wife really wants a baja-style high platform. Is 6'x11' enough / too much? That sounds like a good size for 2 or 3 chaise lounges comfortably.
2. A bench made sense to me. Is 12 ft reasonably long? It's a nice bench size. I initially was going to suggest a bench on the far side of the pool. It would be great for conversing with people on the deck. But it then eats into your lap lane.
You may not be a lap swimmer, I'm not, but it is still nice to do it recreationally from time to time.

3. I could push the pool a couple of more feet toward the fence. I feel the deck is large enough at this point, especially considering that there are covered patio areas as well. Do any of your kids play baseball or softball? That space behind the pool is great for playing catch or having them pitch to you. I spent endless hours playing catch with my boys over the years.
4. Any other items that should be included? We wont' do volleyball / basketball type of activities. I was thinking maybe a couple of bubblers on the baja platform. We LOVE our basketball hoop. Much more than I could have imagined.

I have a similar rectangle pool - ours is oriented a little different as our Baja Shelf extends along the long end of the pool - opposite orientation of yours.

We have a 15x30 pool, a 8'x6' shelf, and a bench running all the way along one length of the pool - from the shelf to the other side.

This was my drawing showing our backyard and the pool layout.

pool-deck.jpg

Here is a photo showing the bench & shelf as water was going in:
IMAG0308.jpg

Plus a shot of the finished pool if it helps you at all!

Rc-NXx-WY4-16e-CLT6S05Ns4WkJF9AbqfRv_TteyEDYuicOqmsnjjPIATMiGA6gF52QuMnP68egHTQDDfawlD8iOCSKNMWr_eV3XrwLZtud6eUvRmBUtUUPhg6XSXmwOaxin5aU05PwxS5qi0ASG1RTYDr8dC3OHTxCddtJXiz5GaK_MEqzdhodA-hUEcZMdfSr2hgBEQQwT6f2MfDvB-7_TMwutuTCMsLTqpz1A6GlBxIJTCXG1GDMJmTuy2l4eBXDYQn_n9NcSHL6bvUgq4JrpKi06y2p1mXoR2y5xCEYFyImwbknV0YJcoXe_sai2e1z27lal8KffJ_k_EmHCTIA_Bzv-ZTAfniRp32-q1N3E65CFCP9ohPVkL_06uiJ6jl0AlPwozJkTcYk-okj7x_VbznoB3IaMYYV0Ixs-p58xqwiaZMvJgxKhMNbLEj43OR89ITEPtVfOYnlhl9H9FH3T9Y2x4clVvEQgK7tmXGAW40QI7EIvjS9wEA70ZKVSyDkKeXhp5N-X9vrscBdtYctNlXHU_kiwhB6Afd37vWsmPqAZgzIIWY_ci2AVMZpmWzyMG-qY2rWlKHsDU585jf-kD2SXw9fjuZW3DRZzU_geGwykdN818rZg3VWI3a4w-19EYaow5lLiscEJ-icUpb3P7RkTl2N=w1394-h784-no

The others have you covered. If you want to "test" the shelf size get some large beach towels and lay them out like the loungers would be. Measure to see how big the shelf would need to be to walk between and around them. Go from there.

Again, thanks everyone for the comments and different perspective. I showed my drawing to the pool builder and he said that because we are using a liner, corners like I have currently in the design are more challenging. santacruzpool, your pool has a liner, correct? If yes, a design like yours should work for us as well.

As you are in NE, a 4.5' pool depth is probably better than a deeper one. More shallow pools warm up faster... your swim season is already short, lets get it going as fast as we can!

Maddie :flower: (who usually advises folks to go deeper, but not in this case)

You can "soften" up the corners to help with the liner. Ask your PB what he suggests. Share his ideas with us so we can pick it apart of approve!

You are learning every day. Keep asking questions no matter how small. We LOVE to teach and help as I am sure you have seen already.

The area where our pool info is what we call our "signature". You can go ahead and get yours started by going to:

-settings (upper right)
-edit signature (middle left)

Put in what you know or think you know about your pool so far.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.