Auto Chlorinator safe???

NeoshoPool

Jun 10, 2019
Neosho, WI
We were using the pool yesterday and the pump kicked in which shot out a dose of high concentrated chlorine from the pump not running for 2 hours. The water that sits in the Chlorinator dissolves while pump isn’t running. I wasn’t too worried at the time, but what if a kid was right by the return? Should I unplug pump every time we use pool(which doesn’t sound practical)or only run pump at night? Which thought wasn’t good either. I have timer set up for 2hr off/1hr on which cycles my water 1x/day. Chlorinator was just filled with slow-dissolve 3” tabs, Chlorinator set to 2, 10K Gal pool.

I think you're worried about nothing. Pucks don't dissolve all that fast. And the concentrated chlorine solution is diluted a lot because the output is restricted by the amount of water flowing through the small hoses and the dial.

Besides the link above about chlorination, you ought to check out Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool because you're worrying about cycles (aka turnover) when that is only practical if you are emptying one pool into another. If turnover works, explain to me why people have threads complaining about water that won't clear with the filter going 24 hours a day for three or four days even after all the algae is dead. Shouldn't one turnover clean it all?

I think you're worried about nothing. Pucks don't dissolve all that fast. And the concentrated chlorine solution is diluted a lot because the output is restricted by the amount of water flowing through the small hoses and the dial.

Besides the link above about chlorination, you ought to check out Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool because you're worrying about cycles (aka turnover) when that is only practical if you are emptying one pool into another. If turnover works, explain to me why people have threads complaining about water that won't clear with the filter going 24 hours a day for three or four days even after all the algae is dead. Shouldn't one turnover clean it all?

I have the inline version meant for unground pool.Thanks for the reply

Auto-Chlorinator was referred by a friend, and I didn’t do my home work before purchase. I will now be removing the AC from my pool and following TFP’s recommendations of using liquid Chlorine. Did not like the Hayward AC at all...(besides the CYA problem)... Thanks all...

You also have the choice of a salt water chlorinator. They are very low maintenance and you almost never have to buy any liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.