Austin, TX - Above Ground Salt Water Pool in Canyon - Construction Started 09/30/19

It's helped keep the pool temps down. Regrettably, in my little pocket, we haven't seen much rain for the last couple weeks, but we got deluged in May/June.
I'm in Buda, just south of you. We've had rain every day for, what, a couple of weeks? Being on a hill with wind & trees, we're always battling to keep the pool warm enough. Got it to 86°-89° until a few days ago using solar cover every night. Yesterday, 84°.

I'm in Buda, just south of you. We've had rain every day for, what, a couple of weeks? Being on a hill with wind & trees, we're always battling to keep the pool warm enough. Got it to 86°-89° until a few days ago using solar cover every night. Yesterday, 84°.
Somehow the rain has missed us the last week or two, but last night we got a brief but decent downpour, same with this morning. With the cooler weather, I've been seeing 82->84/85 swings everyday. However, today was unusably cool not even hitting 82F air temp and a decent AM downpour of maybe 3/4", it only hit 82 degrees. Still felt great to swim this evening. The forecast is improving and I'd expect your pool to be real warm soon. I do find the sun is most direct in late June (around the solstice) and that's when I usually see the hottest temps. Despite late July, August and early September being warmer, for me the sun is less direct and temps become more manageable. I find overnight temps and humidity have the largest effect on temps. If we only get to 79-80 overnight with high humidity, the pool is uncomfortably warm the following days. If it's dry and we get low 70s, the pool cools nicely.

This looks great DB! Umm, is that a Rice Owl mascot sign in your neighbors yard? If so.... my oldest is there as a sophomore this year studying Opera Voice.
Wow, keen eye! It's actually not a Rice Owl, it's a Doss Owl as our neighborhood feeds into Doss Elementary!

Reactions: Belikin
I ended up painting the exterior shell of the pool. Regrettably, it was basically three different colors due to different materials and concrete/gunite processes. The cradle was poured first, then the pool shell and walls, and then the surrounding deck walls. The deck company put a nice brown coat on, but the pool walls and cradle were left relatively unfinished and all three components were different colors. Also, due to areas that get more water, other random shades were in certain areas. After reading about the Miami high-rise, I started reading and wanted to also add some sealant/waterproofing given the amount of rain that hits this shell as well as occasional splash out. I also cut an expansion joint between where the deck meets the pool.

After completing, the neighbor across the canyon sent me a note on our neighborhood web site (we barely know each other) and said how much better it looks and they want to pain their's now. I used Sherwin Williams Conflex SherLastic Elastormeric stucco paint. A base layer in most areas of Drylok Extreme waterproofer was used.

2021-09-11_17-40-12.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.