Austin Owner Build (Raised Pool with Infinity Edge)

When I turned on the pumps for the first time my pool looked like a cup of hot chocolate. The last few days I have been trying to clean up the pool. My spa is crystal clear, but the pool . . . .

I have already had to clean out my de filter. I am not sure why some folks hate the de filters so bad. Mine was super easy to clean. The dirt and de rinsed off easily.

Today my robot arrived from the forum’s favorite robot lady. It went straight for the super dirty deep end. 84EEDC84-C932-4958-8865-1AB32CDE0444.jpeg

Today I cut the fire bricks for the bottom of the fire pit.

We purchased a slab of quartzite (harder than granite) for the fire pit top. I am hiring someone to cut and install the top. The slab should be big enough so that I can use the left overs on an outdoor kitchen.

The pool is clearing up. The robot has picked up pounds and pounds of dirt, sand, and rocks.
742D7B3E-80DA-47FB-B3EC-25413F65AC73.jpeg

What color is the top? Make sure to tell them you want to use the rest so they will cut with that in mind.

Kim:kim:

We are taking a chance on the color. Either it will turn out nice looking or it will look terrible. We will do a chiseled outside edge and a smooth interior edge. The fabricator will attempt to install as a single piece (i.e., no seams).

The quartzite slab we selected has a leather finish instead of a polished finish. A picture of the slab is below.
F291AF71-E27D-4C80-B229-40B25A0ADC4C.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been a while since my last update.

My fire pit top was installed.

5C47E323-DC65-4CD9-89C6-93A05E08E649.jpeg

I now have most of the stainless steel cable railing installed. I only need to finish replacing the railing on my porch to complete that aspect of the project.
7ECB3E85-4274-46A9-8E6C-B0747B2F27BF.jpeg

I unfortunately did not pass my final water district inspection on the first go around. The inspector showed up the first time when I was not home, and he assumed I hooked up the autofill to my irrigation system (I did not tap into my irrigation system.). Additionally he did not like where I installed the RPZ. I had to move the RPZ to the point of connect of the water supply (I originally installed the backflow device near the pool autofill which is about 170 feet from the place I tapped into my main waterline.). To move the RPZ was not difficult, but the move required me to get the RPZ retested to make sure it worked properly and then get the water district inspector back out to inspect a second time. Fortunately, I passed the second time and have closed my water district permits.

For sanitation, I started off using 10% bleach but quickly got tired of dumping a gallon per day into the pool. So, I hooked up the SWG (I had already plumbed for it with a dummy cell.) and added 1,000 pounds of salt. I had a helper push the salt around to speed up dissolving. Life is now so much easier—no more bleach to drag around.
I do still add acid. My ph keeps increasing to around 7.8 (not too bad but I want it a little lower). I will probably add an acid pump to keep the ph a little lower.
FEDC98E7-661C-4645-B0B5-6EFCEBB88ED0.jpeg99597B8E-9955-4EF9-BF33-807047E56C4B.jpeg

I have run into an issue with my hybrid heater. Pentair is now telling me that a natural gas to propane conversion kit will not be made available for my heater (I have propane and therefore cannot use half of the heater.). This could get ugly if pentair does not rectify the problem.

I am happy that this almost 2 year project is nearing completion. I have additional cleanup work to do and will need to install grass/landscaping in the back. But, I have a functioning swimming pool which my family has already enjoyed.

I will try to post a few nighttime pictures of the pool and infinity edge in the near future.

LOVE the fire pit top! That came out great! So rich looking!

Greg it is time to fill in your signature. Share the details-plaster in ground, ?? gals, kind of filter, size of swg, special features, etc. test kit as well.

WHAT??? on the heater. So they are now saying they will not provide that kit? Adults for you! That is the whole reason for THAT heater!! How far up the ladder have you gone so far?

Salt adding is also know as "Diamond Day". Next time let your wonderful helper mix it in by swimming with it. It looks like diamonds as it floats down through the water. Swimming with it mixes it up the fun way!

Kim:kim:

Wow what an awesome pool! I'd love to see video of it running with the firepits lite up and everything. Love that fence!

Looks awesome. Who did you use to supply the cable rail? The SWG causes the PH to rise. My pool is 2 years old and I add 1 cup of acid every other day. I’m also considering an acid injector. I recommend keeping the PH closer to 7.4 vs 7.6. I’m getting calcium deposits/scaling due to the hard water in Austin so recently dialed my target down to 7.4.

Looks awesome. Who did you use to supply the cable rail? The SWG causes the PH to rise. My pool is 2 years old and I add 1 cup of acid every other day. I’m also considering an acid injector. I recommend keeping the PH closer to 7.4 vs 7.6. I’m getting calcium deposits/scaling due to the hard water in Austin so recently dialed my target down to 7.4.
I purchased the stainless steel cable railing from inlinedesign.us. They were $7k cheaper than the next cheapest supplier I got a quote from, and I got multiple quotes. Grade 316 stainless steel cable railing is expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.