Austin Owner Build (Raised Pool with Infinity Edge)

Unfortunately, the rainy weather has delayed plaster and Aquabright. Hopefully, I will get it in the next couple of weeks.

I have been working on the fire pit and stone wall to hide the pool equipment. Below are a few pictures of the fire pit and wall hiding my equipment. Some of the mortar is still wet—that is why the color is different. I need to order the cap for the fire pit. I do not know how masons can do this type of work day after day. The mortar is very hard on hands/skin and cutting stone with a dry saw is very dusty. I had to resort to wearing nitrile gloves. I can only assume professional masons are good enough to avoid touching the mortar.

In the background by the steps, you can see where I need to paint. Originally, I had a large set of concrete steps that I had jackhammered out. This left two areas that needed a skim coat. My first attempt looked terrible. I did not have the proper tool (a sponge float). I hope that once I paint this skim coat it will be impossible to see the repair.

I also ordered my stainless steel cable railing—that stuff is pricey. E6460E4B-E9C0-4D96-BE31-75993B9DA48F.jpeg0A5A69E1-6CBE-4350-9977-9CEE90FB2141.jpeg8E836E98-2DB9-42F7-A0BA-6DBF11A5B5D0.jpegD1AB8353-B3C1-4833-B196-99451E712A29.jpeg41E9B4D8-D7D2-45B2-9F2E-4DE844161F9D.jpeg338DB6B4-BCA5-465D-8BE0-48ACC6BC5D2E.jpeg

Reactions: kimmielea
You do good work! That wall and fire pit are purrfect! Yeah on the work being hard on your body inside and out.

The patch will blend in just fine when you are done. You do need to prime it to help it blend in (as I am sure you know). Put a pretty pot over there and no one will notice if it is a little off.

GUrrrrrrrrrrr on the weather keeping you from the finish of the plaster/bright!!! SO close!!

Kim:kim:

I have been working on multiple parts of the pool project that I have not posted. At this stage, I am tired of this project. I officially started on July 24, 2017–so it has now been a little over a year.

One of the bigger issues was discovered by my tile guy. The infinity wall was out of level by 3” ( i.e. the infinity wall vertically was not straight). The tile guy fixed the top half of the infinity wall where he tiled, but I had to float out the bottom portion of the wall. It takes a lot of material to float out a wall 4’ tall and 21’ in length.

I have also started to waterproof the catch basin but need to finish ( the waterproofing is the white stuff).

We originally were going to plaster the spa but decided to tile the spa. I felt the tile guy wanted too much to tile it; so, I decided to tile the spa myself. Tiling the spa unfortunately requires me to cut and hammer out some concrete on the spa seats so that the 1” tile has a more gradual round over. I am also leveling out the spa as it has variances in seat height that would be noticeable with tile. To do the round over on the seat I snapped chalk lines and used a circular saw to make straight cuts then I hammered out the concrete I needed to remove. Once I finish floating out the spa seats and walls, I will waterproof the spa again and then begin tiling. It is a little hard to see in the pictures what I have done so far.

I also had the masons out to complete the stone on my steps. At least some items are getting wrapped up.
What are the dimensions of your catch basin?

Does the heat pump have proper clearance from the walls?

If not, the efficiency will be reduced.

Yes, it does. The picture is a bit deceiving. The heater only requires 12 inches, but I have more than that. Also, the wall has two air holes to assist with air flow. I can fit my fat belly all the way around the heater.

What are the dimensions of your catch basin?

Hi Royd,

You need to calculate your catch basin for the size of your pool (You can find calculations guides online.). A little too big is not a problem. A little too small can be a huge problem (sucking air due to vortexes or overflowing from surges). My basin is bigger than necessary, but I originally made it a little taller than needed to prevent animals/deer from easily getting into it. I wish I had made it shorter by 12" to 18". However, to answer your question it is approximately 21 feet by 4 feet and 4.5 feet deep. Plus, the larger basin will provide me a greater water reserve if the pool level drops (I did the math a long time ago to determine the minimum size needed, but I have since forgotten.).

There are folks on the website that are pool builders and are more qualified than I am to provide guidance (i.e., I am not qualified to provide guidance.). But, a lot of thought needs to go into designing a catch basin. For example, surface area of the pool, drop of water from the pool to the basin, how the water is channeled into the basin, the speed of the water flowing into the basin, the shape of the basin.

Plaster day was today. It actually feels more like a pool. Now I need two dry days in a row for Aquabright. Hopefully I will have the Aquabright installed in the next 2-4 days. Unfortunately I am having to water the plaster. It is very thirsty.

I have also received my stainless steel cable railing. So far I have one post installed—only 52 more to go (plus the cables, gate, handrailng, etc). B541BAE1-9CD0-4EA7-9334-6B05565B3A18.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Today they began the Aquabright process. Specifically, they acid washed the new plaster. It took 44 gallons of acid to get it ready (the acid produced huge plumes of smoke). After a couple rinses to get rid of the acid, the pool was dried and taped up with heat resistant tape. Next a layer of epoxy was rolled on. Tomorrow they will roll one more coat of epoxy and then begin shooting three coats of Aquabright. I hope it does not rain tonight or tomorrow.63375EF5-1D4D-4E38-BB4B-9FA324DFB89F.jpeg0CFE023E-E8EE-46C7-B392-D8FC7D4D1DE8.jpegDE1B0E61-BA7F-413D-8310-C5D50AF08083.jpeg

Their poor lungs :( Nothing but a small, cheap filter between them and the fumes. One in short sleeves as well! It did need to be done and I am sure they are glad that is over!

So did it rain last night??? Will they wait for the sun to come up and dry any overnight dew?

Their poor lungs :( Nothing but a small, cheap filter between them and the fumes. One in short sleeves as well! It did need to be done and I am sure they are glad that is over!

So did it rain last night??? Will they wait for the sun to come up and dry any overnight dew?

I agree that they need to wear high quality respirators. I told the supervisor they needed something better. The fumes were bad especially in the catch basin.

We had a light mist this morning I am hoping that it does not cause a problem. I was told that if the epoxy gets wet, then they will have to grind it off and start over.

Greg!!! You did it! You have a pool and it is getting water in it!!! :party: Did you ever think this day would happen??

I can't remember if I shared my "new pool owner" set of links with you so I am going to share them again. Now that you have water in the pool you will need to know how to take care of it!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you have your test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the best one out there!

Greg!!! You did it! You have a pool and it is getting water in it!!! :party: Did you ever think this day would happen??

I can't remember if I shared my "new pool owner" set of links with you so I am going to share them again. Now that you have water in the pool you will need to know how to take care of it!!!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Trouble Free Pool

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Do you have your test kit yet? If not look in my siggy for the best one out there!

Thanks for the links. I was not sure it would ever get water.

Yes, I have the TFT test kit and already tested my tap water

ph 7.8
calcium 125
ta 150
cya 0
chlorine 3 ppm

I am concerned that my spa might have a leak. I will not know for sure until I can activate all of the equipment and fill all of the pipes with water.

NO! Why do you thing it has a leak??? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe if I say NO enough it will not leak :roll:

That is some good tape water. Very easy to work with!
I filled up the spa and it dropped overnight. Hopefully it is dropping because pipes are filling up.

I discovered that I have a tiny leak on one of my Pentair 3 way valves. The valve is leaking where the cover screws into the body. I will have to figure out why it is leaking. Luckily that particular valve can be accessed with the pool full of water—my pumps are below the waterline

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.