Audio Video setup around pool patio

Hey all - reviving this old thread just to check thoughts on the Sonance or other outdoor systems. Skiddy - how do you like yours? I see you’re in FL, so maybe you’ve had the chance to use it some?

The price at Best Buy for the Sonance 6.1 system with the Sonos Amp seems to be decent(?) now ($1499) for the value. I’ve considered the Monoprice, looked at Nuvo, Klipsch, and others - but the Sonance including the amp is a decent price considering the amp alone is $650.

I already have Sonos in my house, so I’d likely stay in that direction regardless of the speakers.

I really like the package.
I put a cheap 55" samsung TV on the wall and hung a Sonos beam from it with the bracket sold separately, then added the Sonance/Sonos amp speaker package. The beam sounds great by itself but when I kick on the Sonance left and right channels it makes the sound pop. Very high quality stuff.
Just an FYI Magnolia has sales on the sonance/sonos package from time to time. The price drops down to $999 which is what I paid for I got in on the sale. I had best buy come out and wire the system up so its running off Cat 6 instead of wifi.

That sonance price is pretty good. Maybe it’s going out of production.

On another note I got a new portable zone for in my garage and driveway when detailing inside in the winter or outside on the summer. It’s a lot bigger than I thought. I had the sonos one at the house also to compare it to the nuvo. The nuvo plays much much louder clean. But the wireless power cabability of the sonos is so nice.

40C3E68C-2404-44E8-8160-BA74B8FA6689.jpeg

Thanks for the replies! Scdaren: you answer sounds like a good fit for your needs! My TV is actually already mounted outdoors in a covered patio though. Plus I’m pretty sure whatever I do will have Sonos involved because we already have it in the house.

Skiddy, you mention a $999 price for the Sonance system. Was that including a Sonos amp? If so that is a total steal! How many satellites? 4?

I’m curious about bass level especially and where to locate an in ground sub. My covered patio already has (2) 2-way 8” in ceiling speakers from Tru-Audio (CP-80), which I drive with an old Onkyo A/V amp. I went with the 8”s hoping for more full sound, but they are not impressive at all (I’m wondering if I should install back boxes on them actually). My hope is that one of these in ground sub systems will be bit more full. I’m not looking for BOOMs, but a well rounded sound would be great. Should the sub be located close to the primary listening area? Or is it OK if it is a little remote? (Like the far side of the pool). The way our concrete decking is going to be setup, it may be tough to locate an in-ground sub closer. Maybe the decking issue means I need to look at rock speakers instead?

Jimjim, that new stand-alone from Nuvo looks good! Is that a wired unit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Skiddy
Thanks for the replies! Scdaren: you answer sounds like a good fit for your needs! My TV is actually already mounted outdoors in a covered patio though. Plus I’m pretty sure whatever I do will have Sonos involved because we already have it in the house.

Skiddy, you mention a $999 price for the Sonance system. Was that including a Sonos amp? If so that is a total steal! How many satellites? 4?

I’m curious about bass level especially and where to locate an in ground sub. My covered patio already has (2) 2-way 8” in ceiling speakers from Tru-Audio (CP-80), which I drive with an old Onkyo A/V amp. I went with the 8”s hoping for more full sound, but they are not impressive at all (I’m wondering if I should install back boxes on them actually). My hope is that one of these in ground sub systems will be bit more full. I’m not looking for BOOMs, but a well rounded sound would be great. Should the sub be located close to the primary listening area? Or is it OK if it is a little remote? (Like the far side of the pool). The way our concrete decking is going to be setup, it may be tough to locate an in-ground sub closer. Maybe the decking issue means I need to look at rock speakers instead?

Jimjim, that new stand-alone from Nuvo looks good! Is that a wired unit?

Power yes. Wireless for audio streaming. It’s a stand alone zone. Wired to setup with ethernet.

Reactions: BrittanyV
Not sure a sale means they are going to stop production but who knows. The way I understand it is Sonos partnered with Sonance to get something outdoors and architectural in the walls and ceilings, which Sono's doesn't offer.
I am sold on the technology. I even purchased stock in the company when I learned more about their technology. Having the ability to control your entire system indoors and outdoors with an app or now with voice control is the future and should be around for a while.

but again so many companies have the same tech. eventually sonos will be bought up by another company, just like all these other companies. i have seen so so many huge companies close or get bought and sold over this past year.

sonos can easily make their own outdoor speakers. well not make. all these companies buy off an oem company anyway. they tweet them a bit but overall they r the same product rebadged.

monoprice's new monolith line is a great example. their amps are made by ATI. an american amp company known for their superior amps for years. morris kessler is the godfather of amp tech. ate is the oem for monoprice's line now. they also make amps for many other higher end boutique companies.

For those alexa/echo users like myself, I've found that the echo link amp has worked well. I have 4 rock speakers around my pool and patio area wired to the amp in shed. The amp can be put into a music group like any other echo device. So the music in the backyard can be synced with the music in the house and on the front porch. You can change the songs from the spotify app (or most streaming apps) and choose the music group that you want the sound to come from. Or you can change the music with your voice from any echo device. This is helpful when you're in the pool and your hands are wet. I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound quality of the speakers from amazon. They're not HiFi, blow your socks off speakers but they are strategically placed so music can be played at a low volume but heard from anywhere in the yard. I'm not into loud music that I have to scream over. I plan to mount a TV on the back of the house under a roof structure that will be built at the end of the month. I will run an optical wire to the shed so that I can listen to the Mets games on the rock speakers while lounging on a float. I think it's a similar set up to sonos with lower quality sound at a cheaper price tag. But, if you're already in the echo eco-system it's a good choice.

When I put in my pool, trenched around it and buried 4 conductors direct burial 12 gauge wire to each speaker location. You can use solid core or braided, or even plain jane Romex (that is ground contact rated). I then home run ran the wires from each speaker to my outdoor kitchen where I was going to put in the stereo. Each speaker went into a 4 way load balance stereo splitter. Then I used a 100 amp stereo to drive the music. I also installed a load balancing external volume control knob between the stereo and the splitter.
General Parts list:
The usage of the 4 way switch with volume allowed me to adjust each speaker's output for a consistent level around the pool. I have 2 sets of speakers on the near side and 2 inground speakers on the far side of the pool.

My personal take is if you are going longer than 100 ft, you should be running 12 gauge wire to ensure there is not loss and distortion in the line. See the table in the link below.

Here is a rough wiring Diagram. I just bought a cheap PYLE PDA6BU. It works great and sound quality is not terrible, but I would not call it audiophile quality.
Drawing1.png

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.