Apr 30, 2021
Alleman, Iowa
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
We are in the process of installing a 27' Round Optimum pool fully in-ground. The coping is meant for pavers. That being said, I can't find instructions anywhere on best practices for attaching the pavers to the coping itself. Our plan is to do one ring of Interlock pavers for coping, and then pour a wider concrete pad surrounding the coping. Has anyone done something similar with either an Optimum (or Radiant - I think the coping is the same) pool?

Can't answer your question, but I have a question..
Do you have pics of your install (start to finish) that you can post? I had someone come out and price out the optimum for partial bury, and I'd love to see how you did yours.

yes, thank you. So you poured concrete collar and then filled with stone? I love the steps. Did you do a sand bottom or vermiculite? Did you do the install yourself?
We did sand - the installers told us what to order. We hired a person with a mini-excavator and a level to do the digging, and then we did our own skid loader work. We hired professional installers to put the pool kit together, an electrician for obvious reasons, and then the pool sellers did the plumbing and equipment setup. We are doing our own backfill and on-ground work.

We did sand - the installers told us what to order. We hired a person with a mini-excavator and a level to do the digging, and then we did our own skid loader work. We hired professional installers to put the pool kit together, an electrician for obvious reasons, and then the pool sellers did the plumbing and equipment setup. We are doing our own backfill and on-ground work.
And yes, concrete collar, then filled with water, then backfilled with stone. There was electrical bonding wire run after the collar but before the filling.

I am about to put quikrete advanced polymer between limestone decking and the fiberglass lip. I’ll let you know how it works out. I’ve applied it to a couple of tiles so far and seems to be plenty durable and bonded well to stone and fiberglass.. I’d welcome any other feedback on what types of glue folks use. I chose to avoid grout due to not wanting the pool and rest of deck to be fixed together. The quikrete is flexible so I think it will be better than thin set

Reactions: Poolguy2021
If you pour a collar amd affix coping to that it ends up independent of the deck with a small expansion joint behind coping. The concrete ring never moves it's a small mass with no expansion issues. I'm not familiar with that product but should be ok. I've seen glue in a tube used and it worked

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.