At what temperature does the Taylor test results become invalid?

No.

The CYA test can read low if you dont let the test water warm to 70F degrees before mixing with reagent.

Do pool or spa water samples have to be at "room temperature" before testing begins?
With one exception, no. Our lab has run the pH, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, free chlorine, and cyanuric acid tests on known standard solutions at approximately 104°F, 75°F, 60°F, and 40°F. Only at 40°F did the CYA standard solution test higher than its actual value (after accounting for test variability). All other tests were unaffected by temperature differences.

A bit different conclusion then what is discussed here but either way it seems the CYA test water should be room temperature.

The reaction is slowed down by colder water, but as long as you wait the full mix time, the reaction should reach completion. Insufficient wait time can result in a lower than actual reading.

The solubility of the product of cyanuric acid and the reagent is reduced in colder water, which results in a higher than actual reading.

In any case, I don't think that the difference is that significant.

You can try it at both temperatures to compare if you want.

You could bring a sample indoors for te
For some reason my speedster stops spinning below 32 degrees Fahrenheit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

so do I. matter of fact I stop a lot of things at 32 degrees. So I go inside where I and my project (testing in this case). can warm up in a few minutes and work better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I get a substantially higher reading when the water is cold. My last test one month ago with water temp 80 was 50 and I have not added any CYA since then but did backwash/re-fill which would have dropped the level. Today I ran a test at water temp 54 and it was 70. I knew that was way too high based on the prior test so I ran another test after letting the water warm up. That test was 40 which was what I expected.

mmm mmm 32 degree water needs whisky to warm it up... mmmmm... use tap water... test orally.

In Aus at 32 in the pool... set favourite ice cold beverage poolside, and dive in! Test often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.