At a loss, no chlorine

Flatag

Feb 16, 2018
N.E. Florida
I have my pool/generator running 24/7. my generator is set at 100%. My salt is 3600. My pool temp is 80. I cleaned the cell per manufacturer instructIons. Looking at the cell I can see the cloudy look of the water as if the generator is working. Still, when I test, using 2 different Sets of fresh chemicals I get no chlorine readings.. Any ideas as to what to do next?

How are you testing the water? What is your CYA level?

SWG are not very good at building FC levels. They are great at maintaining. Get some bleach and add enough to get FC to target for your CYA, then adjust output % and runtime to maintain FC in the target zone. You may have an algae bloom beginning to take hold, so it might be a good idea to perform a SLAM before using the generator for maintenance.

My cya was very low so I spent the last couple of days raising it. I dumped in a jug of pool store chlorine a couple of days ago and my FC is still high at 12. I suppose that means the SWCG is working? Looks like cya needs to be higher. My readings today are:

fc 12
cc 0
ph 7.6
cya 50
ch590
ta 70
salt 3600

You guys are pretty hot already in FL. Which means the UV index is also pretty high and with a very low CYA, it could have been burning off your FC as fast as you were making it. Now that you’ve raised it to 50 it is holding better.

or like @thetekgeek said it’s the start of a bloom that isn’t visible yet. Perform aOvernight Chlorine Loss Test to get an answer.

When I first switched to salt I was surprised how much CYA helps. Can't hurt to do the overnight test. I'd also check to see how much FC you're generating against Pool Math. I have an enclosure and I'm maintaining FC with addition of 1.9 ppm per day right now. I'm down to 50 ppm CYA and this is the time of year I usually bring it back up to 80 ppm CYA then I'll add some again around late July.

I'm down to 50 ppm CYA and this is the time of year I usually bring it back up to 80 ppm CYA then I'll add some again around late July.
We have hot, cold, and many shades between. All you folks in the lower states look like the menu at Buffalo Wild Wings.... Mild. Hot. Hotter. Hottest. Nuclear. Armageddon. Wipe out the universe too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.