Assisting SWG with bleach question

Aug 9, 2016
Manorville, NY
So I have been adding about a bottle of 8.5 percent bleach a week ski can keep my swg at a lower percentage and increase cell life. Is this a good idea or should I try to keep things where the swg alone maintains at a 5 FC level. Last year I would do a boost a week but I figured just doing this instead of boosting would help in the long haul?

M,

It can't hurt a thing, and if you can run your SWCG at a lower percentage, then it will mean your cell will last longer.

I never suggest anyone run in the boost mode, it just seems a waste of cell life to me...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Great thank you for the info Jim I figured as much but never hurts to get someone knowledgeable to clarify things after spending what seemed like 40 to 60 bucks every week when I visited the pool store last year my first year of pool ownership this TFP method has been a dream. Clearer water and I doubt I even spend 5 bucks a week

That won't hurt anything chemically, but it shouldn't be necessary.

If you set the SWG to maintain above the minimum FC for your CYA, you won't get algae. A once-a-week "shock will never be necessary. But if you're running the SWG too little and letting the FC dip below minimum and using bleach to compensate, then it needs to be daily, not weekly.

People have crunched numbers and over the life of the cell, bleach versus SWG works out to about the same cost. Bleach is a little at a time whereas the SWG is one big expense at the beginning. You aren't really saving any money. But if you let the FC dip too low regularly, you're taking a huge gamble. The cost to clear a green pool will negate any savings.

M,

I read your post as if you were adding a little bleach on a regular basis, not all of it in one dose... As Richard points out a weekly dose does not make as much sense...

I have never added a weekly dose of anything to my pools in the past three years..

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.