assistance with correcting a few problems

ActivFam

Jun 30, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
We have AG 21 x 54 cartridge filter pool, new in 2014. Never really had problems (that I was aware of, as they say, ignorance is bliss) until this year.

We had a fair amount of rain in 2 weeks (6 inches) so I shocked with granular 56 (did not realize it also contained stabilizer, you know where this is going) Last week Monday 6/25, I noticed pool was getting "milky cloudy" or more aqua colored (not green) and having some small green algae patches on bottom. Kept filter running and vacuumed and scrubbed twice daily. During this time my levels were "normal" except CYA was reading above 150 on strip (yep, I learned I need to purchase better method). Went to pool store and they commented on high stabilizer level but did not make any suggestions other than to "liquid shock and use clarifier."

I wasn't sure on their advice so I started reading here about cloudy water and high CYA. Drained pool 1/3 way x 2...brought CYA level to 111 (per machine ran test at different better pool store). My strip was also reading the same at "100" which on strip says "normal." However I am learning here that is still to high. We also replaced filter on Saturday as we realized that our filter was not properly sized for our pool. The filer was 150 sq ft and we are supposed to have 200 sq ft, I guess according to spouse. Thanks again pool store for giving us wrong filter.

As of this morning, pool looks 95% clear. Readings on strip (sorry all I have right now) pH is about 7.2, Chlorine between 5-10, ALK 120, CYA remains around 110. A few tiny patches of algae possibly but not really like before.

What to do? Drain more water and replace to lower CYA? Keep FC at 11-13 and be able to swim since its hot?

Re: assistance with correcting a few problems

Welcome to the forum!

This forum advocate’s pool owner water testing using a proper test kit. Order a TF100 test kit. The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

A SpeedStir is also recommended as it makes testing much easier.

While you are waiting on your test kit add enough liquid chlorine/bleach to keep 10 ppm FC in your pool.

Let us know when you get your test kit and post up the results.

I will add more chlorine to keep FC above 10 but should I attempt to lower CYA again? I read that CYA readings are not reliable above 100. Or do I just let CYA go awhile and see if it comes down with a lot of sun? Sorry I am new to all of this.

When you get your proper test kit you will test CYA. Most likely will need to do the 'dilute' test. See Step 8 in Pool School - CYA

With the results from the proper test kit we can guide you on how much water still needs to be exchanged.

Sure.

You can safely swim in a pool with the FC above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the deep end of the pool.

New to TFP. Spent many hours here the past 5 days! Cloudy pool and high CYA reading per my strip and machine test at pool store (CYA 111) Just researched recommended TF100 kit and purchased!! Is it premature to start draining pool and adding fresh water in attempt to bring CYA level down? We already did 1/3 pool drain twice as CYA was over 150 on strip. It's better (111) but not in target range yet. Want to do something while I wait for new kit to arrive.

Bummed that we most likely will not be swimming for 4th of July but at least I know for future!

Merged to this thread. Marty. Mod

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.