Ascorbic acid treatment, or plaster resurfacing?

cflo

Sep 2, 2021
Gainesville, FL
Hi all, first of all huge thanks to this forum. I was introduced into the pool world through a house purchase this year, and went from "not great" initial shape, to the green algae ridden wasteland, and then SLAM'd my way to clear water and a sense of pride knowing I've (mostly) got a handle on my pool maintenance - to my friend's chagrin, as he _insisted_ that all pools needed a dedicated pool guy while his own pool sits closed for years.

I am in central Florida. This pool was installed in roughly 1993-95, and based on the upkeep of the rest of the property I am assuming it has never been resurfaced.
I am on well water, and naturally have pretty high calcium & mineral content in my fill water - so I try to use it sparingly and use it with some gardening-esque calcium filter attachments when necessary.
I don't recall if these stains were this bad before the SLAM, the water was pretty cloudy beforehand so it's possible I never noticed. I definitely noticed the stains after the SLAM, but the clear water was a much bigger win in my book. The pool has gotten a lot of use since then, so I'll take an ugly pool in exchange for safe water.

I've done a couple small vitamin C tests just scraping a pill against the plaster in a couple places. It does seem to remove the stain, although it leaves the wall almost brighter than I would have expected based on the rest of the pool. Based on that, I am assuming these are all copper stains.
I've read that plaster pool surfaces last for 5-10 years on average, and I'm assuming this one is well over that max. The walls are a bit rough (particularly the floor), and rubbing against it while underwater will leave a scrape that could break skin if you were forceful enough. The blue tile above the pool also has some large cracks around some of the corners and what looks like moss or some organic material growing between the tile and the pavers above. I don't know how to say for sure that "Yes, it's time to resurface" or "This is treatable with AA".
I also have a suspicion that I have a small leak, although I haven't confirmed. Going into fall/winter I am losing water at a rate of roughly .5-1 inch a week, which is requiring me to use more fill water since the rain isn't as frequent. I generally try to keep it at the bottom of the blue tile.

Most recent pool readings (all within the last week with a TF-100):
FC: 5 (I usually add liquid chlorine to target ~7 based on pool math app, then let it fall down to around 4.5-5 before adding again)
CYA: 50
PH: 7.5
TA: 50 (as of today, getting some baking soda this afternoon)
CH: 500

I find that I add muriatic acid almost more often than chlorine these days. The PH will rise quickly to around 8, and requires acid treatment at least once a week.

Thanks for any and all help! These spots are much more visible when the sun isn't shining on the water. When the sun is out, these spots are almost invisible unless you're under water.

20211020_080543op.jpg

20211016_075213_op.jpg

Last edited:
I'm waiting for water temps to drop before I start my stain treatment. Bought the house a year ago, the water was clear but the pool staining looks just like yours. I have a Jack's stain ID kit ready to confirm before I start, but based on appearances I'm going to be keeping an eye on your progress for sure. Good luck, hope it turns out great!

I've done a couple small vitamin C tests just scraping a pill against the plaster in a couple places. It does seem to remove the stain, although it leaves the wall almost brighter than I would have expected based on the rest of the pool. Based on that, I am assuming these are all copper stains.

Vitamin C lifts iron stains, not copper.

I've read that plaster pool surfaces last for 5-10 years on average, and I'm assuming this one is well over that max. The walls are a bit rough (particularly the floor), and rubbing against it while underwater will leave a scrape that could break skin if you were forceful enough. The blue tile above the pool also has some large cracks around some of the corners and what looks like moss or some organic material growing between the tile and the pavers above. I don't know how to say for sure that "Yes, it's time to resurface" or "This is treatable with AA".

Plaster lasts a lot longer than 5-10 years. It can last 20+ years. As long as the pool is not leaking water through the plaster then it is good. The rest is cosmetic.

Rough plaster can be due to calcium scale buildup on the plaster.

Is the roughness over all the plaster areas or in certain spots?

Your tile and coping problems are a separate issue from any plaster wear.

Hi all, first of all huge thanks to this forum. I was introduced into the pool world through a house purchase this year, and went from "not great" initial shape, to the green algae ridden wasteland, and then SLAM'd my way to clear water and a sense of pride knowing I've (mostly) got a handle on my pool maintenance - to my friend's chagrin, as he _insisted_ that all pools needed a dedicated pool guy while his own pool sits closed for years.

I am in central Florida. This pool was installed in roughly 1993-95, and based on the upkeep of the rest of the property I am assuming it has never been resurfaced.
I am on well water, and naturally have pretty high calcium & mineral content in my fill water - so I try to use it sparingly and use it with some gardening-esque calcium filter attachments when necessary.
I don't recall if these stains were this bad before the SLAM, the water was pretty cloudy beforehand so it's possible I never noticed. I definitely noticed the stains after the SLAM, but the clear water was a much bigger win in my book. The pool has gotten a lot of use since then, so I'll take an ugly pool in exchange for safe water.

I also have a suspicion that I have a small leak, although I haven't confirmed. Going into fall/winter I am losing water at a rate of roughly .5-1 inch a week, which is requiring me to use more fill water since the rain isn't as frequent. I generally try to keep it at the bottom of the blue tile.

Most recent pool readings (all within the last week with a TF-100):
FC: 5 (I usually add liquid chlorine to target ~7 based on pool math app, then let it fall down to around 4.5-5 before adding again)
CYA: 50
PH: 7.5
TA: 50 (as of today, getting some baking soda this afternoon)
CH: 500

I find that I add muriatic acid almost more often than chlorine these days. The PH will rise quickly to around 8, and requires acid treatment at least once a week.

Thanks for any and all help! These spots are much more visible when the sun isn't shining on the water. When the sun is out, these spots are almost invisible unless you're under water.

View attachment 379417

View attachment 379416
The spots look just like mine do. Though it’s more of a continuous stain than a “spot” in my case.

Vitamin C lifts iron stains, not copper.

Ah, my mistake on mentioning copper - I did mean iron stains. I think I may have read something about copper this morning which had it on my mind.

Plaster lasts a lot longer than 5-10 years. It can last 20+ years. As long as the pool is not leaking water through the plaster then it is good. The rest is cosmetic.

Rough plaster can be due to calcium scale buildup on the plaster.

Is the roughness over all the plaster areas or in certain spots?

Your tile and coping problems are a separate issue from any plaster wear.
The longevity is definitely great to hear. I had issues with water-line calcium scale after my initial SLAM, but have been keeping a close eye on PH and targeting a lower "ideal" of around 7.2-7.4.
The roughness is all over, although I'm honestly not sure how much roughness is normal with a plaster pool. The roughness is less of a concern for me, so long as it's not indicative of a bigger problem.

I'm waiting for water temps to drop before I start my stain treatment. Bought the house a year ago, the water was clear but the pool staining looks just like yours. I have a Jack's stain ID kit ready to confirm before I start, but based on appearances I'm going to be keeping an eye on your progress for sure. Good luck, hope it turns out great!
I hadn't heard of Jack's, I'll have to give it a look! I'm unsure if I'll need to actually close the pool for winter (who doesn't like a cold morning dip), but my plan was to potentially start treatment in a month or so as my FC goes down. I appreciate the support!

The spots look just like mine do. Though it’s more of a continuous stain than a “spot” in my case.
Honestly, I'm just glad this isn't only a "my pool" issue. Most of the videos I've seen online of iron staining feature very localized stains that I wouldn't even notice under normal circumstances.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.