Ariel SolarBreeze Review

Steve, it sounds like you have done what the manufacturer SHOULD HAVE DONE before going into production. I have been following these kinds of machines for a while now. Clearly, Solar Breeze needs you on their payroll as both designer and beta tester. If you go into business making a skimmer machine, be sure and let TFP know. You may have hundreds of investors and customers right here! You have both encouraged me that a solar skimmer is possible...and convinced me that it's not here yet! Thanks.
Bill

Reactions: jfreeman
The NX I previously owned always took care of this, because it ran "All Night" ... like I expected out of a '10 Hour Op Time After Dusk' skimmer should do !

I'm a newby as well. So far I am very impressed with the folks, and information contained on this forum. Thanks !
Now that the sun has gone farther south, ariel just cannot handle the job as efficiently as nx2. I find myself using nx2 more and more. I wake up and its still running! will definitely be using nx2 for when there's predicted wind for the evening hours. I'll let it get fully charged on the pool deck while ariel runs during the day.

I have lots of rockscape so ariel does a great job of avoiding getting stuck like the nx2 does, but , I agree that it comes at a price of less efficient edge cleaning. My only other issue (more my wife's) is that Ariel is noiser than the nx2 due to the split back paddle wheels creating more water friction. we spend a lot of time reading on the patio and when ariel gets close to the house side of the pool it can be a bit distracting at times.

Reactions: SLCtfp
So, I'm a long time SolarBreeze owner. Had all the NX models but constantly needed replacement of the front wheel gears so was excited to get the new Ariel. They're working to replace my SIXTH unit. (Guess I'm patient...)
  1. As stated above, the unit displaces more than it picks up. The NX models picked up EVERYTHING.
  2. The battery... despite being in sun all day... loses power around 8pm each night so it picks up nothing all night. Support told me they underestimated the draw of the motors so the next iteration (future model) will have a bigger battery.
  3. Despite getting the latest software, the unit will still occasionally stay with a red light all day... even in the sun... requiring a reset. Or it will be running in the dark with no flashing navigation lights.
  4. Leaf and other debris will cause the front paddle to jam quickly.
  5. On 2 models, the right paddle wheel would not turn freely... kind of sputter.
I'd say Arial v1.0 is not ready for primetime and I'd continue to repair your NX2 until 2.0 hits the market.

S
  1. The battery... despite being in sun all day... loses power around 8pm each night so it picks up nothing all night. Support told me they underestimated the draw of the motors so the next iteration (future model) will have a bigger battery.

"underestimated draw of motors" ...really? was there no testing before production? me thinks they wanted to cut costs.

Anyone notice Ariel getting stuck in reverse mode at times. I have had it happen at least twice that I know of. A hard reset seems to correct it but now that its happened more than once , I'm wondering if I need to send in for repair?

So a couple of things. First I think they just made an honest mistake. If they wanted to cut costs they would not be saying they will be releasing a fix.

If a hard rest fixes your issue, I would just do that. Save you sending back repairs for something that is really broken. It will eventually have to go back for the battery problem, so you can let them fix two birds.

For example on of my paddles just seized. So its going to need to go back for that.

today the unit will not reset to normal navigational behavior. the rear paddle wheels are running in opposite directions constantly. reset it several times but still getting same behavior. I have emailed for warranty repair instructions.

Ok- New to this forum and have already read many interesting posts. I've had my pool for 32 years. It's a simple 18 X 36 oval liner pool and has been great. I received my Ariel about 1 month ago and would like to share my observations. I did not have the earlier NX version. I get a lot of small leaves. Part of my pool is shaded by a Shademaster locust tree which I have a love/hate relationship with. Love the shade on hot summer days, hate the leaves in the fall, and the blossoms in the spring. Shademaster leaves are about the size of a nickle, and there's millions of them that start falling in September. So, I purchased Ariel to reduce my manual skimming duties.

Upon initial inspection of Ariel, I thought How Groovey, sleek, colorful, and just generally cool looking it was. As promised it was charged and ready to put in the pool right out of the box. So, I put her in and let her rip. Again, very cool and kind of mesmerizing watching it paddle all around my pool. I was impressed so far.

Now to the review after about a month of service:

Battery life - Solar Breeze claims that Ariel can run overnight. That's just not the case. I get maybe 3 hours or so after the sun goes down. The good news it that the solar panel is large enough to keep her paddling about all day on a reasonably sunny day. If dark clouds set in, Ariel will eventually go to standby. It's all a matter of how cloudy, angle of the available sun, and time. I won't even try to run mine in rainy day full cloud cover, or at night.

Leaf and debris gathering performance - It did not take long for me to realize that "In my pool" with "my small leaves" , Ariel's ability to pick up anything was pretty much a failing grade and very disappointing. However, I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer, and a tinker'r for sure, so I set out to see If I could improve Ariel's capture efficiency.

First off the problems - Ariel's attitude and angle in the water put the tips of the front gathering paddle pretty deep in the water. The effect of this was that as Ariel paddled around, it created a fairly large bow wave that extend out about 8 to 12" in front of the pontoons. The impact of the bow wave is that anything in the path that should be captured, rides the bow wave out to the sides past the gathering opening. By the time Ariel gets to where the debris was, it's already out side of the gathering opening. So- there's nothing to pick up, it's already on the side or behind Ariel. The President of Solar Breeze suggested I add some weight to that back to raise the front paddle up. I did that and it did reduce the amplitude and effect of the bow wave. I would say the capture efficiency went for about 5% (of stuff that was in it's path) to about 15%. So 85% of the debris that should have been picked up was still being missed! It would paddle about all day and the leaf drop would very quickly overwhelm Ariel's gathering rate. Clearly the efficiency needed more improvement.

Pontoons - The shape of the pontoons (semi - blunted front) is such that the eddy current in front of the pontoon simply pushes leaves out and around the sides of Ariel. Plus the pontoons are tucked slightly under the sides of the white top housing and orange corner bumpers. The effect of that is that there is no way on gods green earth that Ariel will gather anything within 4 to 6" near the edges of a pool. You pool owners know that surface tension of the water tends to make stuff hang out around the perimeter.

So I designed and fabricated a pair of front winglets that create a much larger opening in the front, and extend out the sides far enough to contact to sides of the pool liner as Ariel rides the perimeter, This is not 100% effective at removing leaves that are stuck to the side of the liner but it's pretty good at getting stuff that's within 1/2" of the pool edge. This modification improved the capture efficiency from about 15% to 85% 'ish. With that Ariel can easily keep up with my Shademaster locust.

Now finally keeping the leaves and bugs in the tray - Now that I had good capture efficiency the next problem became obvious. It seems that as Ariel exercised it's timed reverse movement, the debris that had been captured would get expelled out of the front past the gathering paddle wheel. How disappointing is that?? Go to the trouble to gather stuff, then spit it all out.

My solution to this was to add a thin mylar flapper on the front of the gathering tray. The flapper just barely touches the tips of the gathering wheel. I kind of acts like a one way valve. Like the Hotel California - Stuff can check out any time they like but they can never leave. It actually works like a charm!

So- my Ariel is now an awesome leaf and bug eating monster! Your experience may be completely different than mine but I thought I would share.
My next improvement will be to add whiskers to the winglets to see if I can get those pesky leaves that stick to the sides of the liner.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the typos, wrong words, misspellings, and crappy sentence structures.
Regards,
Steve
Hi Steve

I'm an engineer as well and agree with you that Ariel pushes all the small, light particles that are not yet wetted / captured by the waters surface tension. This means that these small object have very little friction and as such even a very small bow wave (laminar though it may well be) well in front (~50 - 200mm; this length is a function of the debris mass) of Ariel is enough for them to slide away from the front paddle wheel and off to the sides eventually. This isn't something I'd noticed with my NX BTW.

The front paddle too does a lot of splashing and wave creation, no doubt It must have a capture rate faster that that of its forward motion.

Ariel is much faster than the NX, this may account for the difference I am seeing, where the slower NX is better at collecting light unwetted objects. On a windless day I placed a tiny, dry feather in front of Ariel and the NX as a test. The NX captured the feather and Ariel pushed it away as though it had a force-field.

I see so many potential improvements for these types of devices.
* The inlet could be sucking in the debris as opposed to trying to force it in. This would mean a flap being dropped or raised as it goes to power-down.
* The pontoons would benefit from being less blunt as you pointed out.
* I cannot help but feel that all the splashing and noise being created by the rear paddles are less efficient than two screw propellers performing the same task would be.
* The use of a magnetometer IC (SO8, I2C/SPI) would remove the need to go into reverse every 3min (again inefficiency removed)

Regards
Chris

Thank you all for the detailed write-ups of your experiences with Ariel. I'd hoped it would help with oak debris that hits my pool seasonally in March and April. Unfortunately, the basic problems like poor battery life, backing into a wall for 20 minutes straight, poor in-path debris uptake, and failure to reach debris at pool edge are deal-breakers. Sounds like this product was rushed to market.

I'm very happy with my Maytronic Dolphin robotic pool bottom cleaner, which has been effective and trouble-free for a year now. It raised my hopes for a robotic surface cleaner. I like solar skimmers conceptually, but a $560 product needs to be reliable and durable. The company should give all you guys free upgrades for essentially beta testing their product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have both the Ariel and the NX2 (and an NX before that). The Ariel won't charge the battery if you turn it off. The battery seems to have much less capacity. In the morning it will come on when the sun hits it, but if it gets into some shade, which happens a lot early, it starts backing up, thinking it will get back to the sunny place.

If you pull it out of the water to vacuum or play in the pool you have to make sure it is in standby and not off so the battery will keep charging. However it is common to see it running while out of the water when it takes itself out of standby. When I lift it out of the water I have to sweep it forward as I lift or a lot of debris gets left in the pool while lifting it out.

After 6 months of use rear paddle has frozen. I emailed customer service will report back on process. Acquired Ariel Sept 2021
You make warranty claim on line Solar Breeze website. I checked again 7 days later and they forwarded a response which had not made it thru to my email. ZERO PHONE SUPPORT. Send serial number (under tray) and shipping info in your initial request. They indicate they will send new unit and email shippIng information to take faulty machine back.

You make warranty claim on line Solar Breeze website. I checked again 7 days later and they forwarded a response which had not made it thru to my email. ZERO PHONE SUPPORT. Send serial number (under tray) and shipping info in your initial request. They indicate they will send new unit and email shippIng information to take faulty machine back.
I know of one other unit bought at the same time with a rear frozen motor. The motor problem seems like an inferior and faulty part. Would love it if company communicated how this repetitive problem is rectified.

Working with claims is frustrating . All by email and the only phone number I could locate is an answering service. Today after a few weeks of email miscommunication and lags, I got a RMA to return the faulty unit and in 48 hours I will get tracking info on new unit. The 1 year warranty ends at the date of the original purchase.

I have to give this product a thumbs down until quality issues have been addressed. For $600 I would expect a product that lasts a few years with serviceable parts.

I had one of my rear paddles seize. It took a few days to get the RMA as well. But the new one is working well. Battery time is still the major issue on this one. They were supposed to do a recall on that, but I guess supply chain has that flummoxed for a while.

So mine just arrived via UPS today. Unboxed it and put it on the deck to do a quick inspection.

Build quality looks pretty good. It appears they may have fixed some deficiencies from the NX2. Some quick differences that I have noticed.

It is generally about the same size as the NX2 maybe just a touch taller.
The solar panels are textured. There is an issue with the NX2 panels getting cloudy after a few months. I wonder if this texturing will help prevent that.
The view hole to see the tray status is just a hole now instead of covered with a clear piece of plexiglass. That plexiglass used to cloud up or get condensation on the underside that blocked the view.
The tray now has metal clips to hold it in place. The NX2 had plastic ones that broke fairly easily which caused the tray to slip out a little.

Will put it in the pool tomorrow morning to see how it moves around and to determine battery strength.
So....I just got a 2022 model in exchange for the 2021 which had the same problem that GVC had with needing to reset.
The new model worked fine for 15 minutes, then it started spinning in place for another 15 minutes then it died. Both LEDs are flashing green about once per second.
Here's what it looks like: Ariel-2.mov

I had one of my rear paddles seize. It took a few days to get the RMA as well. But the new one is working well. Battery time is still the major issue on this one. They were supposed to do a recall on that, but I guess supply chain has that flummoxed for a while.
It took a few days to get the RMA as well

How long does it typically take to get a warranty item fixed? I am considering purchasing one of these, however after all the bad reviews about Service,Run Time and basic poor design I am very hesitant to pull the trigger on this unit. Have there been any recent updates since your last post? My usage will be very limited as my regular skimmer does a good job. We do get heavy debris days here in the northeast in spring and and fall so I would want to use it for those (probably 10-20 days per season at most). I also do not cover my pool for the winter so after I close the pool in late October I need something to keep the surface clean until the pool gets its first layer of ice. I would be Greatly disappointed if the unit required repair and was not able to be in use for those critical times.

Thanks, Rich..

The new model worked fine for 15 minutes, then it started spinning in place for another 15 minutes then it died. Both LEDs are flashing green about once per second.
That must be the debris sensing mode.... Ready to strike at the first sign of debris.... :ROFLMAO:

Have you been able to resolve the issue?

Thanks, Rich..

This last time around they were very quick. They responded to my warranty request within a day. They shipped it out almost right way. I got a new or refurb unit within about a week. Then shipped the broken one back in the box the replacement unit came in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.