Are these usable or should I wait for new parts?

lastevns

Silver Supporter
May 22, 2022
Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

I finally ensured I have a level spot for my pool and I planned to start putting it together this weekend (and swimming for the long weekend). BUT... then I saw these horizontal frame beams with the cracked inserts (two of them - an A beam and a D beam).

I already contacted the company for replacement parts. They seemed to have no problem creating a replacement order based on my photos. But, we both REALLY looked forward to swimming this weekend (work has been extremely stressful lately).

I thought I would ask other AGPers if they think these cracked inserts will cause problems or if we might use them now and replace them with the new parts later when we're willing to drain the pool. Or, alternately, do any of you know if these inserts can be purchased (say in hardware stores) where I could pick them up and replace them myself?

Would appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20220528_104433659.jpg
    IMG_20220528_104433659.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20220528_104438903_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220528_104438903_HDR.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 33
OH NO!! I bet your heart sank when you saw these :(

Ok lets talk this through..............so those inserts are thin plastic. What is their purpose? Are they in there to help snug up the poles when you slid them together? Are they in there to help remove the poles when you are ready to take the pool down?

I think I see a "button" on one at the bottom. Are there holes in the poles that would go into that insert and fit onto the button?

I have a couple of ideas but want to wait for your answers.

Reactions: lastevns
It looks to me like those inserts limit the depth that the tube can be inserted as will as providing a snug fit. If they are removed, will the inside tube go all the into the outside tube? I assume these are support tubes for the walls of the pool. If so, the possibility of the tubes becoming shorter could be detrimental to the integrity of the pool walls.

If this is their function, there could be a couple of alternative ways to limit the depth of the inserted tube.

OH NO!! I bet your heart sank when you saw these :(

Ok lets talk this through..............so those inserts are thin plastic. What is their purpose? Are they in there to help snug up the poles when you slid them together? Are they in there to help remove the poles when you are ready to take the pool down?

I think I see a "button" on one at the bottom. Are there holes in the poles that would go into that insert and fit onto the button?

I have a couple of ideas but want to wait for your answers.
Yeah, you're right. I was a BIT heartbroken and a BIT, "yeah, something was bound to be an issue."

The inserts are thin. I think they're there to ensure a snug fit from beam to beam... and that it COULD be troublesome with the cracking. I think I'm going to try fitting one of the broken pieces to its match and see what happens. A lot could go wrong but might as well see it for myself. I don't plan to actually put the beams into the liner until I do this test. Wish me luck. I'll be back with the results.

It looks to me like those inserts limit the depth that the tube can be inserted as will as providing a snug fit. If they are removed, will the inside tube go all the into the outside tube? I assume these are support tubes for the walls of the pool. If so, the possibility of the tubes becoming shorter could be detrimental to the integrity of the pool walls.

If this is their function, there could be a couple of alternative ways to limit the depth of the inserted tube.
Your estimation seems correct. I am interested though in what you might think could act as an alternative. For now, I think I will try to fit a couple beams together to see the outcome and then I will report back.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Are you saying they are the top rails as in they are NOT the ones the up and down from the group to hold the top one up?
So, these are what is referred to in the Intex manual as horizontal beams. The go under the liner at the top and they connect to the legs. Together, the legs and horizontal beams hold the whole thing together.

I found that both cracked inserts actually feed into the 'floating' corner pieces of my rectangular pool. Essentially, the plastic inserts are there to add a very thin layer of extra tension where the two sides come together at the corner. The corners are meant to move and be somewhat loose to move with the water. The do not lock. So, I've tested putting the corners together with the broken inserts and they seem to hold in place fine (of course, I don't have 5000 gallons of water in the pool yet). Still, these are not interlocking beams. They aren't meant to lock and hold together tight. So... maybe not an issue?

I'm including photos of the most broken insert. The other is only broken a little at the lip and seems to hold fine. This one I am attaching is broken worse. So, I've tried taping it to reinforce it. When I put the taped insert back into the beam, it seems to hold even when I insert the corner piece. But, I don't know if this is wise. It seems to hold and give the same tension as those that are intact and working. So, this may not be an issue. Then again, it might. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_132104790.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132104790.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220529_132952224.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132952224.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20220529_132223307.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132223307.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 2

Repeating my response to another reply here:

So, these are what is referred to in the Intex manual as horizontal beams. The go under the liner at the top and they connect to the legs. Together, the legs and horizontal beams hold the whole thing together.

I found that both cracked inserts actually feed into the 'floating' corner pieces of my rectangular pool. Essentially, the plastic inserts are there to add a very thin layer of extra tension where the two sides come together at the corner. The corners are meant to move and be somewhat loose to move with the water. The do not lock. So, I've tested putting the corners together with the broken inserts and they seem to hold in place fine (of course, I don't have 5000 gallons of water in the pool yet). Still, these are not interlocking beams. They aren't meant to lock and hold together tight. So... maybe not an issue?

I'm including photos of the most broken insert. The other is only broken a little at the lip and seems to hold fine. This one I am attaching is broken worse. So, I've tried taping it to reinforce it. When I put the taped insert back into the beam, it seems to hold even when I insert the corner piece. But, I don't know if this is wise. It seems to hold and give the same tension as those that are intact and working. So, this may not be an issue. Then again, it might. Any advice?

Your estimation seems correct. I am interested though in what you might think could act as an alternative. For now, I think I will try to fit a couple beams together to see the outcome and then I will report back.
Reposting my reply. Hope this is okay:

Attachments

• IMG_20220529_132104790.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132104790.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220529_132952224.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132952224.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20220529_132223307.jpg
    IMG_20220529_132223307.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1
And I just wanted to add, I wouldn't be trying to find a way to use these parts except for the fact that putting in an order for replacement parts won't likely be acknowledged before Wednesday and sent out some time after that. So, I could be looking at a couple of weeks before I have replacements since I doubt the company will ship priority. And, it's kind of a disappointment to think it may take weeks to set this up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am seeing those pieces as a way to separate the 2 halves so they don't touch and constantly rub.

They appear IMO to try and limit the pole on pole scratching of the coating, which causes the rust that is the eventual downfall of the pool. I'm sure helping the poles come apart for storage and snugging them just a bit while together are added bonuses, but I'm guessing they are for extra life.

As long as they stay in place and keep the metal poles from coming into contact with each other, I think they'd be fine to use.

Reactions: lastevns
My gut says it should be fine to use them due to what Dude just said. Those were my thoughts but I wanted to make sure they were not to hole the top rails up.

I say use them AND tape them together with GOOD, STRONG tape to be extra safe. Then when the new ones come in go from there.

My gut says it should be fine to use them due to what Dude just said. Those were my thoughts but I wanted to make sure they were not to hole the top rails up.

I say use them AND tape them together with GOOD, STRONG tape to be extra safe. Then when the new ones come in go from there.
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take it and cross my fingers. But, everything I can imagine in my head suggests this should work.

Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
I am seeing those pieces as a way to separate the 2 halves so they don't touch and constantly rub.

They appear IMO to try and limit the pole on pole scratching of the coating, which causes the rust that is the eventual downfall of the pool. I'm sure helping the poles come apart for storage and snugging them just a bit while together are added bonuses, but I'm guessing they are for extra life.
YES! You're right. When I took the insert out and inserted the corner piece into the straight beam, the fit was super loose and there was metal-on-metal. With the insert, there is no direct metal-on-metal. So, thanks for clarifying that. Going to try it with the insert solidly taped. Thanks again!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.