Are solar panels portable

Jul 11, 2016
Pleasanton, CA
We are looking to remove the solar thermal panels on our rooftop and I would like to avoid dismantling and disposing of all of that material. The panels are in a basic rectangular shape, nothing funky, and the pipes are all just PVC. Could I gift this installation? In theory, could it be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere? Does anyone here know of this being done before?

TIA.

We are looking to remove the solar thermal panels on our rooftop and I would like to avoid dismantling and disposing of all of that material. The panels are in a basic rectangular shape, nothing funky, and the pipes are all just PVC. Could I gift this installation? In theory, could it be disassembled and reassembled elsewhere? Does anyone here know of this being done before?

TIA.
How old are they? After 10 years panels that are disturbed have a greater tendency to leak when disturbed. If they are FAFCO, that use rubber tube and hose-clamp connections, the ends are usually very deformed from being tightened and difficult to have not leak if re-used. The rubber tubes (essentially 2"+/- radiator hose) would have to be replaced.

The PVC is probably not worth saving, its usually very warped, but the panels could be. It was normal to remove and replace systems for new roof applications with the warning that some panels my leak when re-installed. At 10 years there was no guaranty that they all wouldn't leak. Older than 10 years and it was a remove and dispose only. The plastic becomes brittle doing its job, absorbing heat and UV.

If the panels are carefully handled, its a two-person minimum job if you want to save them, it is doable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.