May 25, 2019
Northwest Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just tested the water for the first time. The results are:
  • pH: 7.2 (somewhere between 6.8 and 7.2 but much closer to 7.2)
  • FC: 0
  • CC: 0
  • Calcium: 350
  • TA: 180
  • CYA: less than 20 (could see the black dot even with the tube nearly full)
Here are my questions:
  • Should I assume I have 0 CYA? The tube doesn't go beyond 20.
  • Should I target 30 CYA? With a 20,000 gallon pool, that means I'll add 80 oz of dry stabilizer [edited]
  • Do I need to worry about pH or TA right now?
  • Can I add chlorine right after adding the CYA? If so, should I assume the target amount when doing my calculation?
  • Assuming 30 CYA and 10% chlorine, I'll need 307 oz
I appreciate the help! Can't wait to see things change.

Does the CYA sample get cloudy at all when you mix it up? You could have 10 or more left, so you don't want to go adding 30 CYA and end up over your target. If it didn't look any different after adding the reagent, then it's zero.

The pH is fine. The others are fine for now, too

Yes, you can add chlorine immediately., The CYA sock is going to take a day or so to dissolve, and you don't want to wait. Just assume it's all there as soon as you set it in and go ahead and target 12 FC. Remember, that 307 oz is only the first dose. If the pool is green, all that bleach will be used up in less than an hour.

Thank you. That helps a lot.

For the CYA, I would say the sample wasn't any more cloudy after adding the reagant. So I'll assume 0 and shoot for 30.

And it sounds like I should buy a lot more chlorine than I was going to. Should I test every hour and adjust if I am able to?

Thank you. That helps a lot.

For the CYA, I would say the sample wasn't any more cloudy after adding the reagant. So I'll assume 0 and shoot for 30.

And it sounds like I should buy a lot more chlorine than I was going to. Should I test every hour and adjust if I am able to?
That will speed things along, yes. Especially in the beginning. You will see massive drops initially and then things will slow down and you'll be able to stretch the intervals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.