Are Hayward Sand Filter Tanks prone to fail?

Jul 29, 2016
South Jersey
I was shopping for a new filter and decided I would go bigger and considered the S224T from Hayward. I then began reading that a few tanks fail at the seams and that worried me. My current tank is undersized for my 17,000 gallon pool. It was purchased used over 10 years ago, because a neighbor had the whole setup for $50. It's a S166T. Are the older tanks made better? This absolutely scares the Crud out of me thinking I would be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire if I bought a new Hayward and had it split a year later or right after the 1 year warranty expired. Thoughts?

The plastic tanks are known to fail under higher pressure applications. For anything over 15 psi, I would recommend a heavy duty fiber reinforced model, such as the Pentair TR-100.

S244T owner here. No cracking issues of any kind, still going strong with years of service.

I had a surprise winter freeze a few years back that busted my heat exchanger.
The sand filter was also full of water and did not crack. Not sure if they made a few
defective units, but these filters are pretty common, I find it hard to believe they
are not considered reliable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confidence booster on the S244T durability

I found a very cheap S244T, $40. The tank seems to be okay. It's definitely older because it has a 711 Valve on it. I filled it with water and under no pressure seems okay. I went to get a new spider gasket at the pool store and he said the 711 is Crud, it's old and to buy a new one. I have 2 - 714 valves. I picked them up along the way... because you never know. They should work if the 711 isn't worth rebuilding. The 711 seems okay, just needs new gaskets. The lateral assembly on the 244T looks really good, no cracks or damage. Could have been replaced.

Also now I know why I don't go back to that store. One guy in the morning is fine. doesn't talk down to people... nice and happy. The afternoon guys are brutal, patronizing, and I saw the one bully a lady saying she was behind the 8-Ball and that she was loosing control of her pool. She just opened it! It was green or brown like everyone else's in this area after a winter and now it was a bit cloudy. It makes me not even want to go back to buy filter sand.

So what would you do rebuild the 711 that came with the S244T, and have a intact S166T to sell or use as a backup or just use my working 714 off of the S166T? I will have to re-plumb either way because of the height difference in the filters.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.