Are DE filters still popular?

tomfrh

Jan 30, 2018
Australia
Here in Australia in the 1980s there seemed to be a lot more DE filters around. I knew a few people that had them. Now I don't seem them so much, and the pool shops don't seem to stock them, nor carry the DE powder in any real quantity.

Is this just an Australian thing, or have they faded in popularity? If so, how come?

I've read that breathing the dust is the main concern. As CrystalRiver mentions disposal is something to check on. I think DE may be on one of those lists of cancer causing things.

I was told by our pool builder that after the big Sydney dust storm of 2009 that (in his words) "all the DE filters turned to concrete and had to be replaced. Never use 'em anymore." but not something I've researched myself.

I add some to my sand filter after backwashing, and buy it here https://www.directpoolsupplies.com.au/aquacel-de-powder-4.5kg

If you buy any, be sure to get the type for pool filters, not the garden or insect control type

They may be going away, but I miss my DE filter. I had one on my 1st and 2nd pool... and cartridge doesn't compare. My current pool looks great, but it seems like the clarity is a touch below what I always got with my DE filter.

Where I'm at now backwash would be a problem, so I went with a cartridge filter. Maybe some day they will get cartridges down to the micron level of DE... one can only hope!

You know it can be added to a cartridge filter too just not the same amount as in an actual de setup. All my pools once running well get the DE treatment which brings the water to perfection. You'll need to start with clean cartridge filter or sand filter and know your clean filter psi. Once that's noted you add DE until there's 1psi rise noticed, then it's done.

Reactions: Lnstrdt
As I stated with a clean filter and the known clean filter pressure, you the add slowly through the skimmer. You add a scoop and wait a few minutes and watch the gauge. If it didn't increase by 1 psi you would add again and repeat until it moved 1 psi. You can note for yourself how much DE it took so the next time after a cartridge cleaning you can give it DE that same amount. Be aware and watch the filter gauge as it'll be catching more small particles and may need a cleaning sooner but before you know it the water will be like glass.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is all dependent on the filter/pump size so each set up is different. I use a jug like from windshield washer fluid and cut it all around at the point where it just starts to narrow and use the lower portion. That'll give you a good amount in one shot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.