Jun 22, 2022
North Carolina
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Our AquaRite system was working fine on Saturday (reading 3200 ppm). On Monday, salt level read 200 ppm with the check salt and inspect cell lights illuminated. Since, it has been reading 0 ppm with both lights illuminated. No chlorine is being generated. I tried a reset with no luck. The cell itself was inspected and no build-up was visible. Pool store noted salt level at 3900 ppm.

The employee at the pool store was not very familiar with the system and did not have any advice except that the cell (T-5) might need to be replaced. I talked to another expert who suggested it may be the Flow sensor; however, he was unable to send a technician out due to distance. From reading online, it appears it could also be a mother board issue. Any idea why there would be a sudden 0 ppm salt reading? Thoughts/suggestions?

Readings with the pump on are:
0 ppm
85 degrees
31.1 Voltage
0.00 amps
49 P (output)
-0 salinity
Al -7 (aquatrol return jet)
r 1.47 (software)
-Only a slight difference in readings when turning the pump off and back on. Everything else stayed the same.

*Note: current salt water cell is 4-5 years old

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Check the thermistor in the board.

Check the K1 and K2 relay area for burnt solder points.

You need to get your own Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit

We don't trust pool store tests.

If your salt is 3900 that is too high for the AQuarite and leads to high amps which lead to high temperatures on the board which leads to burnt components.

Read Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Thank you for all the suggestions! We added a bag of salt (which we shouldn’t have done) when the check salt and inspect cell lights came on. Salt reading was fine before that (3300 ppm) on Saturday. We’ve been using salt test strips as well, but will definitely purchase the salt test kit - thanks!

We have since drained a few inches and added more to help decrease the salt level. Lights are still on and we are still getting a reading of 0 on the salt water system. I will look into your suggestions in the morning. Have not yet looked at the internal board yet!

My problem seems to be similar. I am also getting a 0.00 salt concentration reading. I have the Taylor salt test kit, and I am not happy with it.
At one point, it was showing 2200PPM, and I then dumped in 80 pounds of salt, brushed it out to dissolve it ....and the reading was still 2200PPM. I now read that salt water is heavier than fresh water, and it takes time for it to get mixed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.