AquaRite display board under-power issue

Sep 10, 2012
Ft Worth, Texas
As the subject implies, my display board on my AQR system is not receiving the full 3-5 VDC. I'm reading about 1.3 VDC between pins 1-3.

Equipment: Hayward AquaRite SWG with GLX-PCB-RITE board running v1.55 firmware. T-15 cell. The original system (really just the transformer and the rectifiers) are over 20 years old, but the main board, display board, and cell are all under 5 yrs old.

History: Everything has been working ok and I was checking the display during operation while I was doing a chemistry test. While going through the diagnostics, I noticed that the product name had changed from AL-0 to AL-3. Thought I would just reset that and went through the AUTO-Super-AUTO procedure when the board went dark. No LCD display, no LEDs. "That's strange, lets try turning it off and back on." Well, nothing could bring the board back on. So I pulled out my copy of the AquaRite Diagnostic Manual and started the troubleshooting procedure:

Since it seemed to be the display board, I skipped ahead and measured voltage on the pins. Got 3.6 VDC between pins 1-3, so I went back to the beginning of the troubleshooting sequence for "No LED's / LCD display"

Verify input voltage: Check - 246VAC between 1 & 4, jumpers haven't been changed from factory setting
Verify voltage between yellow wires: Sorta - should be between 20-24VAC. I measured 25.2 VAC
Check transformer resistance: Blue-White wires OK (2.8 Ohms); Violet-Gray wires NOK (3.7 Ohms)
Check 20 amp fuse: OK
Check voltage between Black & Red wires on main board: OK measured 28.6 VDC (target 18-33)
Reseat display board and measure voltage: Now the voltage measured 1.3 VDC between pins 1-3. I went through this multiple times, removing the display board, cleaning, reseating. Nothing. Still getting 1.3 VDC on pins 1-3.

So my question to the experts is: is that resistance variance on the Violet-Gray wires sufficient to cause my problems? What about that variance on the yellow-yellow voltage?

Welcome to TFP.

Congratulations on keeping your 20 year old system on life support. Let us know what you figure out.

As the subject implies, my display board on my AQR system is not receiving the full 3-5 VDC. I'm reading about 1.3 VDC between pins 1-3.

Equipment: Hayward AquaRite SWG with GLX-PCB-RITE board running v1.55 firmware. T-15 cell. The original system (really just the transformer and the rectifiers) are over 20 years old, but the main board, display board, and cell are all under 5 yrs old.
You might have the wrong references. Pin 2 is Negative and pin 4 is Positive 5Vdc.
Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

This might give you some leads in troubleshooting your AQR bd.

You might have the wrong references. Pin 2 is Negative and pin 4 is Positive 5Vdc.
Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

This might give you some leads in troubleshooting your AQR bd.
Thanks, I did see that the v1.59 manual says to test pins 2-4 rather than pins 1-3 in the v1.50 manual. I did test pins 2-4 and got 2.2 VDC.

Funny thing, the next morning after the regular run schedule started, everything was normal. Generating nicely.
I'm just going to keep an eye on it for now and hope it was a transient issue. 🤞