Hillsborough, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I was reading all the great info here and stumbled on some recommendations for the chlorine generator. From what I gather a SWCG should be sized 2x actual pool gallons. I have approximately a 21k-25k gallon pool (36x22 free form) but the SWCG my PB provided is a AquaRite 900 with Tcell925 25k gal. Is this unit too small?

The T-Cell-925 produces 1.32 lbs per day. Assuming your pool size is somewhere in the range of 21K to 25 K and running the cell at 100%, it will add between 6.3 ppm (25k gallons) and 7.5 ppm (21K gallons) of FC per day to your pool. Typical FC losses per day are between 2 to 4 ppm so you will need to run your SWCG at 100% between 7 to 15 hrs per day. So I don't think it's too small, but be aware if your pool is more to the 25K size and your daily FC losses are at the high end, the only option you have is to extend pump run time.

Reactions: JerseyPool2021
The T-Cell-925 produces 1.32 lbs per day. Assuming your pool size is somewhere in the range of 21K to 25 K and running the cell at 100%, it will add between 6.3 ppm (25k gallons) and 7.5 ppm (21K gallons) of FC per day to your pool. Typical FC losses per day are between 2 to 4 ppm so you will need to run your SWCG at 100% between 7 to 15 hrs per day. So I don't think it's too small, but be aware if your pool is more to the 25K size and your daily FC losses are at the high end, the only option you have is to extend pump run time.
Thank you for the info. Couple of questions... what is the calculation you used? Is it in the pool math section? Also, is running the pump 7-15 hours a reasonable amount of time?

We show the T9 cell creates 0.98lbs of chlorine per day. So not sure where the 1.32lbs per day came from.
It's not a T9 cell, it's a TCell925, which according to Hayward is an extended life T9 cell producing 25% more chlorine over its lifetime. The 1.32 lbs per day came from Pool Store USA website. On the Hayward website the TCell925 is spec'ed at 1.42 lbs per day.

It's not a T9 cell, it's a TCell925, which according to Hayward is an extended life T9 cell producing 25% more chlorine over its lifetime. The 1.32 lbs per day came from Pool Store USA website. On the Hayward website the TCell925 is spec'ed at 1.42 lbs per day.
I saw that. But that level of chlorine generation per day is what they also state for their T15 for a 40K pool.

the TCell925 is essentially the same as a TCell9. It just lasts longer. See this chart.

The daily output (1.45 lbs/day) in link you have must be a typo because it gives the exact same spec for the TCell940.. the extended life version of the TCell15.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
T-15 has 13 Titanium Plates, 150 x 63mm. Produces 1.47 lbs/day.

T-9 has 13 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.98 lbs/day.

T-5 has 7 Titanium plate, 150 x 63mm. Produces 0.735 lbs/day.

T-3 has 7 Titanium Plates, 101 x 63mm. Produces 0.53 lbs/day.

The exact production depends on the salinity and the water temperature.

The AquaRite will shut down at 8 amps, so maximum production for a T-15 will be at 7.9 amps.

The ratings say the salinity was 2,900 ppm for the output test, but they do not specify the water temperature.

Most likely, the temperature would be probably be an “average” temperature in the 76 to 84 degree range.

The amperage was probably in the 6.3 to 7.3 range.

Theoretically, you could get the smaller cells to produce the same output as a T-15 if you increase the salinity enough to get the amps up to 7.9.

To produce the same output as a T-15, the salinity for each cell would be as follows.

Cell size.........Salinity

T-15...............2,900

T-9.................4,350

T-5.................5,800

T-3................8,043

According to this brochure, the TCell925 and TCell940 are extened life version of the T9 and T15 respectively. From this snipit from the brochure, it looks like they increased the total output by 25% over the T9 and T15 Cells. How is this done? By increasing the size of the plates or thickness of the coating?
extend.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.