Aquapure cycle time. Wiki correction.

flynwill

Sep 18, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings:
I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this: I have a correction (or possibly addition) to the Jandy Aquapure wiki page:
Aquapure cycle time
The wiki states that the Aquapure has a 3 hour cycle time -- 50% is 1.5 hour on, 1.5 hours off.
Being suspicious that this was a surprisingly long time, I setup a test by pointing a spare security camera at my Aquapure unit and recording it's LEDs over several days.
As a result of those observations I can say:
  • The cycle time is actually 30 minutes. Setting 10% results in 3 minutes on, 27 minutes off, setting 50% results in 15 minutes on 15 minutes off, etc.
  • The Cell reversal switches every 3 hours of continuous running, that is the "cell reversing" light will be off for 3 hours and then on for the next 3 hours. (Perhaps that's where the 3 hour number in the wiki comes from).
  • The Cell reversal also appears to start in the opposite state every time the unit is powered on, but there does not appear to be any memory of were it was in the 3 hour cycle when it last switched off, instead it starts a fresh 3 hour period.
That last point does ensure that the cell will be reversed evenly in most cases.
Note that my unit is a new unit (less than a year old) and likely has the very latest firmware, so possibly it behaves differently than older units.

I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this
I'm happy to make the updates. Before I do, let's reconcile the two.

@JamesW made the original posting, I'm sure he will weigh in.

James, I validated the cell reversal here, page 8, Electrolytic Cell...reverses polarity every 3 hours.

I cannot find ANYWHERE a citation for the 3 hour "cycle" [the period used to implement the % configuration] time (except the polarity reversal) nor the support for the 30 minutes that the OP has validated with video evidence.

The Jandy Aquapure Ei, as noted in this WIKI article has a different time for the % period [cycle time] and the reverse polarity period [cycle time], see section 1.4.

Thoughts James?

Last edited:
Greetings:
I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post this: I have a correction (or possibly addition) to the Jandy Aquapure wiki page:
Aquapure cycle time
The wiki states that the Aquapure has a 3 hour cycle time -- 50% is 1.5 hour on, 1.5 hours off.
Being suspicious that this was a surprisingly long time, I setup a test by pointing a spare security camera at my Aquapure unit and recording it's LEDs over several days.
As a result of those observations I can say:
  • The cycle time is actually 30 minutes. Setting 10% results in 3 minutes on, 27 minutes off, setting 50% results in 15 minutes on 15 minutes off, etc.
  • The Cell reversal switches every 3 hours of continuous running, that is the "cell reversing" light will be off for 3 hours and then on for the next 3 hours. (Perhaps that's where the 3 hour number in the wiki comes from).
  • The Cell reversal also appears to start in the opposite state every time the unit is powered on, but there does not appear to be any memory of were it was in the 3 hour cycle when it last switched off, instead it starts a fresh 3 hour period.
That last point does ensure that the cell will be reversed evenly in most cases.
Note that my unit is a new unit (less than a year old) and likely has the very latest firmware, so possibly it behaves differently than older units.
I don’t have a dog in this race but I want to say Thank You for your research 😊!
Information & research like this helps so many people & is what makes this site such a great resource for so many pool owners!

Reactions: Newdude
A couple of other observations:
  • The timing for the first on period after the unit is power up seems to be from power on, and not from when the cell senses water flow and actually turns on, which in the case of my system is about 2 minutes later. (That is the first cycle of the day is shorted by that 2 minutes).
  • Except for the above I found that the percentage of time on matched the setting withing the precision of my test method. I tried two setting 1% apart (24% and 23%) and saw the corresponding change in the response (measured at 24.07% and 22.92% respectively)
I have not yet torn down the rig, so if there are other experiments of interest let me know.

The cycle for reversing polarity is 3 hours.

The on and off are described as a percentage but the time is not specified.

If you have observations of a cycle time, then I would defer to that as I have never actually timed the cycle and I don’t have any information about the cycle from Jandy.

The chlorine production can be varied by either adjusting the chlorine production level on the power center or by varying the number of hours the unit is on each day.

The system automatically cleans the cell’s electrode plates once every 3 hours by reversing the polarity of the electrical current.

Whether the system is in forward or reverse, it is still producing chlorine.

For instance, at 100% the cell is on at all times while the pump is running.

When the system is set at 90%, the cell will rest 10% of the time which helps prolong the cell life.

1666983818304.png

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.