Aqualogic and new pump Help!

I have been researching and calling pool supply dealers and Hayward tech support for two days trying to figure out how to replace my pool pump and getting no where :)

I have a single speed two horsepower pentair pump model 340040 that is making grinding noises and I assume is about to fail. I think it's original with the house and 12 years old. I'd like to replace it with a two speed or variable speed pump.

i have the goldline aqua logic controls, the remote says model aql-ttb-rf-ps-8. On the inside door panel of the aqualogic it says aql-ps-8 . On the actual front of the unit there are numbers that's say 956001a(l) and 954001a

If I scroll through the diagnostic screen on the remote it says:

Main Software
Revsision 2.86

Display Software
RFRem=08 r2.00 S:32

RF Base software
r1.20 ID: 155B

i have a hot tub higher than my pool which spills over into the pool in spillover mode. I have a Lars heater. I have a seperate booster pump for Polaris buts it grabs the water from the same pipes as the main pump. I have a seperate pentair pump which runs a waterfall

First I called pentair and they thought model 340044 would replace mine as a two speed and maybe 342001 1.5 hp as a variable speed. It has less hp but he said the rpms looked the same. They didn't know if my aqualogic could control either

Waited for over hr half to talk to Hayward pump tech, they had no idea and told me to call goldline specifically. Talked to the automation tech and they said I'd have to talk to a dealer bc they no longer give support on programming or compatibility or could look online.

Talked to a couple local dealers, two suppose to call me back yesterday never heard. One was helpful and had somebody from Hayward call me. He wasn't sure on aqualogic but thought I could consider upgrading to the Omni vs which could control four features but is pretty pricey, close to $2k or re doing the whole thing Omni. He checked with another tech guy and told me this morning that no vs would work with my aqualogic.

I was iñterested in the sp3202vsp which is 1.85 but he thought would work with my pool bc the old pentair they said is more like a 1.5 hp motor output wise.

But it if I can't control it with my aqualogic it would be a pain switching to spa and freeze protection etc.

My configuration menu gives me the option to pick a variable speed pump so I'm not sure why no variable speed pump will work with it

Can anyone help or give me advice ? Thx!!!!

Your automation system will easily control any 2 speed pump. If you want to go with A VS pump and have full control of it then you likely need to stick with the higher-end Hayward pumps.

The Hayward variable speed pumps require v2.65 or higher. So, you're good for that.

The MaxFlo VS SP2303VSP will work, the SuperPump VS SP2603VSP will work, the TriStar VS will work and the EcoStar VS will work.

The automation is limited in functionality for earlier versions of the software. So, it will work, but you will find it has limited options.

I suggest the EcoStar VS.

I agree with James about the EcoStar, assuming that your main pump is what also runs the spa jets. If not, and if you are just looking for a pump for circulation and filtering, then one of the smaller VS pumps would be fine too.

I think (not 100% sure) that the early software only allows two speeds and low speed has to be less than 1725 rpm.

So, a smaller pump will work, but the software limitations might affect the suitability.

I think (not 100% sure) that the early software only allows two speeds and low speed has to be less than 1725 rpm.

So, a smaller pump will work, but the software limitations might affect the suitability.
I thought you indicated that the software they had would interface welll with the entire line of VS pumps? Or are they still limited a limited interface on the smaller ones?

The software works with the pumps indicated. (115 volt pump versions are not compatible).

However, if there are only two speeds allowed and low speed is limited to 50% speed (1725 rpm), then a smaller pump might be underpowered on low speed compared to the bigger pump.

1725 rpm on any of the pumps should be fine for a low speed but in limited cases, it might not be.

The OP can check programming options by changing pump type to variable speed and then see what programming options are available.

Since you are running the spa, you need a large pump. The wet end designs of the Maxflo and SuperPump are small and will not likely move enough water for your spa. The TriStar might be enough, but the EcoStar will certainly allow you to dial in a good speed for your spa.

The software works with the pumps indicated. (115 volt pump versions are not compatible).

However, if there are only two speeds allowed and low speed is limited to 50% speed (1725 rpm), then a smaller pump might be underpowered on low speed compared to the bigger pump.

1725 rpm on any of the pumps should be fine for a low speed but in limited cases, it might not be.

The OP can check programming options by changing pump type to variable speed and then see what programming options are available.

ok thx, I'll check on the remote and see what's options there are and report back!

- - - Updated - - -

Since you are running the spa, you need a large pump. The wet end designs of the Maxflo and SuperPump are small and will not likely move enough water for your spa. The TriStar might be enough, but the EcoStar will certainly allow you to dial in a good speed for your spa.

Thanks! The Hayward dealer I talked to thought the 1.65 and 1.85 hp tri stars would work bc he said the pentair pump I had was the equivalent of a 1.5 hp pump and not actually a full 2 hp. I have no idea , the Pentair tech said the rpms were the same on their vs 1.5 as my old 2 hp. Do you think 1.85 is sufficient power for the spa ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Max RPM are always the same for all the pumps.
Then there is the HP rating of the motor.
Then there is the Service Factor (SF) rating of the motor.
Then there is the actual wet end design of the pump.

You have to take all of those into account or look at the performance curves of the pumps to compare the flow you will get.
You can't just look at the HP.

I just looked up the original pump you had and it is actually a Superflo which is a smaller wet end design that I would have guessed.
It is a 2HP 1.1 SF = 2.2 SFHP motor. You can look at the performance curve "I" here: SuperFlo High Performance Pump - Efficient Pool and Spa Pumps - Pentair

And compare it to the performance curves of the Hayward pumps at full speed. Basically, pick a head loss (feet of water), say 50 feet and compare the flow rate of your original pump (which is about 77 GPM) to the Haywards at the same 50 feet. If the flow rate is the same or higher, then it will give at least the amount of flow as your current pump into the spa.

Another point would be 40 feet giving about 88 GPM
or 60 feet giving 65 GPM

OK, I had to do it myself. At 50 feet head (remember your current pump is 77 GPM):
Maxflo VS at 3450 RPM = 36-40 GPM
SuperPump VS (230V) = 56 GPM
Tristar VS (1.85 total HP) = 96 GPM
EcoStar VS = 144 GPM

So the first 2 are smaller than what you had and the last 2 are bigger than what you had.

Either the Tristar or the EcoStar will work and you could get the same spa flow as now at a lower than maximum speed.
Note there is still the question of whether only the EcoStar fully integrates into your automation.

OK, I had to do it myself. At 50 feet head (remember your current pump is 77 GPM):
Maxflo VS at 3450 RPM = 36-40 GPM
Superflo VS (230V) = 56 GPM
Tristar VS (1.85 total HP) = 96 GPM
EcoStar VS = 144 GPM

So the first 2 are smaller than what you had and the last 2 are bigger than what you had.

Either the Tristar or the EcoStar will work and you could get the same spa flow as now at a lower than maximum speed.
Note there is still the question of whether only the EcoStar fully integrates into your automation.

Can't thank you enough for looking that up, I really appreciate that, really good info

Sounds like the Tristar would be a good option if automation works

So, I looked on the remote and in the variable option for pump it gives you two speeds: low and high. Then it lets you pick the percentage you want to run for each. This may be limited but if it actually works with the tristar it would suit my needs. I'll run high for spa and booster then find out what low percentage works for normal filtering of the pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.