Aquaglaze Resurfacing

Jan 3, 2019
Australia
Aussies, Does anyone have any experience of the Aquaglaze pool resurfacing method:

I've got a concrete pool and the plaster surface has become pitted which makes it almost impossible to clean off all the algae. It'll be time to resurface it soon and I've always thought there must be a coating that will last longer than plaster. This seems to fit the bill....

I’ve not seen it before but it is an interesting concept. I didn’t see any reference warrantee. If your serious about resurfacing I would be getting a quote for a traditional pebblecrete refinish too. I assume you need to replace your waterline tile but does the coping need replacing too. It is nice to have options but an actual cost comparison would be interesting. It looks labor and material intensive. Ignoring the prep which would be the same for any resurfacing the pebblecrete guys will be in and out in a morning, they can do up to 6 pools a day.

I've got a concrete pool and the plaster surface has become pitted which makes it almost impossible to clean off all the algae.

If your maintaining your pool with the correct FC/CYA ratio there shouldn’t be any algae that needs to be cleaned off. If you have persistent algae a SLAM Process is required. The first step is to get a decent test kit from CCL and read through pool school. Don’t rely on a LPS to tell you what to do and to add.

What equipment do you have? Is it a saltwater pool.

I’ve not seen it before but it is an interesting concept. I didn’t see any reference warrantee. If your serious about resurfacing I would be getting a quote for a traditional pebblecrete refinish too. I assume you need to replace your waterline tile but does the coping need replacing too. It is nice to have options but an actual cost comparison would be interesting. It looks labor and material intensive. Ignoring the prep which would be the same for any resurfacing the pebblecrete guys will be in and out in a morning, they can do up to 6 pools a day.

If your maintaining your pool with the correct FC/CYA ratio there shouldn’t be any algae that needs to be cleaned off. If you have persistent algae a SLAM Process is required. The first step is to get a decent test kit from CCL and read through pool school. Don’t rely on a LPS to tell you what to do and to add.

I'll certainly get a comparison when it comes time to refurbish the pool. So far, all I've heard about this system are good things.

I've got a saltwater system. CL levels are consistently pretty good (FC about 5ppm). The water stays crystal clear but I do get algae in the little pits in the plaster which is impossible even to brush out

Reactions: AUSpool
We're about to get our concrete pool resurfaced and it's come down to two options:

1. Pebblecrete; and

2. Fibreglass resurfacing (eg Aquaglaze)

Has anyone had any experience with these, particularly the latter? Can you recommend it.

PS. Please don't tell me I should tile the pool - it's not something we can afford! It's really down to the two options mentioned.

For reference, the quotes are coming in pretty close. Acquaglaze is a bit cheaper as it includes waterline tiles for the same price as the best pebblecrete quote. Adding tiles to pebblecrete quotes raises the price substantially

We're about to get our concrete pool resurfaced and it's come down to two options:

1. Pebblecrete; and

2. Fibreglass resurfacing (eg Aquaglaze)

Has anyone had any experience with these, particularly the latter? Can you recommend it.

PS. Please don't tell me I should tile the pool - it's not something we can afford! It's really down to the two options mentioned.

Fibreglass resurfacing is mentioned in this thread from last year. @AUSpool is our resident expert from AUS. If he hadn't heard of it, It is likely newer. Personally, I'd go pebblecrete. Literally thousands of pools with it.

I would do the pebblecrete, our modern pebblecrete uses a much finer pebble, ~2mm as apposed to the older 5mm river pebble that was a bit coarse. And you can add a splash of color with some glass beads too.

Be cautious with the fiberglass, read the fine print very carefully. I’ve heard a few stories of warrantees that require very precise control of temperature and pH.

I would do the pebblecrete, our modern pebblecrete uses a much finer pebble, ~2mm as apposed to the older 5mm river pebble that was a bit coarse. And you can add a splash of color with some glass beads too.

Be cautious with the fiberglass, read the fine print very carefully. I’ve heard a few stories of warrantees that require very precise control of temperature and pH.
I think you've convinced me!

I guess the main thing that attracted me to the fibreglass concept was that it's a smooth surface and doesn't have the porosity which enables algae to take hold. Also I gather that chemical balance with pebblecrete has to be kept pretty spot on. Any thoughts on that, or am I worrying too much about not much?!

I think you've convinced me!

I guess the main thing that attracted me to the fibreglass concept was that it's a smooth surface and doesn't have the porosity which enables algae to take hold. Also I gather that chemical balance with pebblecrete has to be kept pretty spot on. Any thoughts on that, or am I worrying too much about not much?!
Actually it’s the other way around. Most fibreglass product care guidelines call for a quite tight pH range, 7.2 - 7.6 where a pebblecrete is still happy at a pH of 8. With CYA/FC in range and a low TA often a pool will settle on an equilibrium at a pH of 7.8ish. You can do that with a fibreglass but often that’s outside of the warrantee requirements. If you maintain the minimum 7.5% FC/CYA ratio you shouldn’t have a problem with algae, with either surface. I like to keep mine between 7.5 and 10% and let it creep up to SLAM level at the end of the season before turning it down.

I would give the folks at aquaglaze a call and ask about the required chemical ranges. Their pool chemistry page sounds very TFPish, they actually quote TFP and the PoolMath calculator but there are no direct links.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually it’s the other way around. Most fibreglass product care guidelines call for a quite tight pH range, 7.2 - 7.6 where a pebblecrete is still happy at a pH of 8. With CYA/FC in range and a low TA often a pool will settle on an equilibrium at a pH of 7.8ish. You can do that with a fibreglass but often that’s outside of the warrantee requirements. If you maintain the minimum 7.5% FC/CYA ratio you shouldn’t have a problem with algae, with either surface. I like to keep mine between 7.5 and 10% and let it creep up to SLAM level at the end of the season before turning it down.

I would give the folks at aquaglaze a call and ask about the required chemical ranges. Their pool chemistry page sounds very TFPish, they actually quote TFP and the PoolMath calculator but there are no direct links.
Thanks mate, the info is much appreciated. What test kit do you use / recommend in Australia?

Clear choice labs is the only place you’ll get a FAS/DPD FC kit. The speed stir is money well spent. I get stuff from CCL, use a BlueDevil pH comparator and every two years I import a Taylor K2006 kit which is a bit extravagant. I use a HM salt meter with Hana calibration fluids but had an Ebay salt meter for many years which was fine but you must get the calibration fluid to go with it.

Clear choice labs is the only place you’ll get a FAS/DPD FC kit. The speed stir is money well spent. I get stuff from CCL, use a BlueDevil pH comparator and every two years I import a Taylor K2006 kit which is a bit extravagant. I use a HM salt meter with Hana calibration fluids but had an Ebay salt meter for many years which was fine but you must get the calibration fluid to go with it.
Thanks again! Great advice all round which is very much appreciated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.