Aquabright, grout, and water chemistry?

Jun 11, 2015
Hillsborough, CA
I'm planning to resurface my ~20-year-old in-ground plaster pool with Aquabright. I'll have glass waterline tile and Aquabright below the tile and an automatic cover that will mostly stay closed. I have an SWG that I plan to keep using. I have two questions: what's the desired chemistry, and should I do anything special with the grout?

Aquabright's maintenance instructions say to have CH 200-400 and TA 120-150. It also suggests using trichlor and MPS to maintain the pool. All of this seems somewhat dubious. My intuition is to add no Calcium (which will give very low CH, since we have very soft fill water), to keep TA around 60-80, CYA around 50 (which I've done for a few years with perfectly fine results), and to add a bit of borate if the pH seems like it fluctuates more than I like. And I'm not about to start using MPS or trichlor! The only downsides I can see is that this might cause warranty issues if they're feeling grouchy and that it could plausibly damage the grout around the waterline tile. The benefits are that I imagine that the SWG and the tile will accumulate less scale than it would if I added that 200-400 ppm of CH and that the low TA will keep pH more stable.

I'm not terribly concerned about the water damaging the pool heater, even though the pool guy assures me that it would be a terribly idea to have low CH.

Is there any reason to do something different? Is there a more stable grout formulation I can use that will resist etching by the soft water?

I don’t follow why you want to run low CH. What are the negatives to CH in the 300 range?

Hopefully to reduce scaling. With the pool right now, as the pH and temperature fluctuates, I get a bit of scaling sometimes. If I keep CH (and hence CSI) very low, I imagine that will go away. Also, I'm hoping it'll reduce scaling in the SWG cell itself -- as I understand it, the OH- produced in the cell causes the pH to be quite high, which can cause scale to be deposited. If I keep CH very low, I imagine that it will reduce that tendency.

Also, TFP suggests adding no CH to vinyl pools. What's the logic there? I assume that, other than the grout issue, Aquabright is more or less equivalent to vinyl.

Aquabright is similar to a vinyl pool but since you have tile and grout you need to follow the Plaster Pool recommended levels.

CH had no impact on a heater unless it is very high. Low CH will not damage the heater in any way, shape or form. Low pH is what causes the damage.

Your chemistry levels will not effect the aquabright warranty. The levels they provided are what they recommend for those that are less informed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.