Aqua Smarte System / How to Transition Away?

LLRobinett

Jun 25, 2020
Columbia, MO
We just got a 30' AGP which came with the Aqua Smarte docking system. It came as part of the package we purchased. So far, the pool is clear and the numbers are right in range for what they should be (according to the strips - waiting for our test kit to arrive). After reading Pool School articles and posts and threads here, I'd like to transition away from it. We may finish up the season, since we've already got the supplies for it. But . . . how do we go about transitioning away from it? Do we need to actually remove the system? Or can we simply not refill the dock with the mineral activator and cartridges?

Whenever you are ready don't fill the dock. If you can, remove the mineral cartridge or remove the minerals from the cartridge. Check your CYA level and add stabilizer as needed and begin adding liquid chlorine or install a SWG.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

I was in the same place 4 years ago when I got my pool. The Aqua Smarte system was included with my pool install as well. I quickly got tired of the replacement bacpak or maxpac cartridges and how much they cost. You can't tell when the cartridges are empty. They only way to know is through testing. By the time you see the lower FC level, you are already behind the ball trying to catch up. The AS system also has a mineral component. AS has silver, the Frog and N2 are copper based. Both are unwanted metals in the pool water. These metals at high enough levels cause staining of the pool liner and copper can lead to green hair. If that wasn't enough, the metals are advertised to help kill algae and reduce chlorine use, when in reality they do neither. The trichlor replacement cartridges are very expensive for what they are. The mineral cartridge is extremely expensive and and must be replaced yearly.
The only good thing I can say about the Aqua Smarte system is that it led me to find TFP. I was looking for alternatives and stumbled upon this forum.
I did hard plumb my pool piping and I chose to leave the AS canister in place. I wanted a way to feed the pool chlorine while I was away on vacation. I pulled the mineral cartridge out and took out all the mineral pellets. I did this by drilling a couple of 3/8" holes in it and working them out. I did this so that if I ever wanted to use the bacpak cartridge, it wasn't going to add the minerals to the pool. You can not use the bacpak cartridge without the mineral cartridge installed.

I would highly recommend removing the mineral canister and switching to liquid chlorine.

As a side note, I had some unconfirmed interference with the CH test that I believe was from the silver from the Aqua Smarte cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.